Sign in to follow this  
hunterofcoues

36b question

Anyone know how the antelope are doing down by Sasabe? I haven't hunted down there for ten years but used to see some decent bucks on the refuge. I kept expecting to see a tag one of these years.

Saw a wicked big buck on the refuge last year. His left side went straight out to the side, right side normal. Did I mention he was big?

I think G&F is still breeding antelope near Ajo, not sure what they are doing with them, though.

Would love to see a hunt out there some day.

The antelope program in 36B has been a dismal failure up to now. Don't hold your breath waiting for tags.

In the late 80s they did two transplants, one for 85 animals and another for 87. Today they probably don't have more than 30.

Part of the problem is questionable suitability of the habitat. The Buenos Aires Wildlife Refuge is supposed to be the core pronghorn habitat, but it suffers from increased woody plants, non-native grasses and the somewhat small acreage involved (some believe 100,000 acres is needed to sustain large antelope herds long term). There are probably as many antelope off the refuge and on nearby ranch lands as there are on the refuge.

If anyone is interested in joining me to help get the BANWR antelope program back on track, PM me and I'll give you more information.

170 antelope down to 30, that doesn't sound good.

I googled sasabe and antelope and came across this unrelated coues hunt on youtube.

I would hire those guys as my guides only if they let me drink out of the magic flask before shooting. Anyone able to translate the spanish? Casey?

Didnt listen to the video, but I THINK the comment below says that he should have shot a "bigger and older buck"... To me, that looks like one heck of a buck!