Sign in to follow this  
GodIsGood

Rifle / caliber choice for youth elk

thank you all for input! Great shot placement info RR!

Bowsniper lent me his .270 along with some managed recoil remington ammo like RR suggested. We are gonna set up some targets in the suck and walk around with shooting sticks as if actually on a stalk and see which rifle he is more comfortable with.

I will let y'all know in case it is useful for other younglings!

GiG

I know that this is a bit late but I am new to this. I have a 10yr old son who will be hunting this year on his first youth cow elk in 6a. On his 10th birthday. I bought him a T/C Encore w/ the flextech recoil in 7mm mag. I know what you are all saying. Thats a lot of gun for a child. For some. My son is no bigger that the next. However, I came to this conclusion talking to Bob Shell who is a Custom reloader and he first made 120gr light loads for him which are still far superior to any 270 or less. ( I love 270) While shooting these load I would occasionaly slip in a manufactured load of 150gr and he could not tell the difference. He is now grouping @ 200 yrd with custom 150gr Barnes tiped bullets. If this is an option, it is one a child could grow into. Also, barrels to change calibers are $300. I hope this helps.

If these are the 120 Nosler Ballistic Tips in the 7RM, I would not be afraid to use them on cow elk. In response to silhouette, their jackets have been thickened and make a good game bullet.

Let's see a pic of that H&H!!! i LOVE that caliber!!

depending on what he has been shooting and his experience the 300 hh would be a good choice.fantastic elk round,not too real bad recoil wise.? whats he use to ?whats he profecient with? whats he comfortable with?