Sign in to follow this  
alexjh1

Doe hunting

I fairly new to whitetail hunting and it appears there are a lot of does out there, I see them all the time. I think this is a fantastic opportunity to get my 15 year old going or any youth for that matter. The only problem is looking over the regs, there are not the same opportunies like other states for doe hunting for youth. I am sure the answer is the balance of our states deer population, maybe I am just lucky and see so many, just not so lucky with ones with antlers..ha ha.

This years regs I did see one opportunity for antlerless deer in what looked like there was one in 12A however that was it.

I guess more of a statement than a question.

About 15-20 years back the December archery deer hunts were any deer but those days are long gone. I think that no matter how many doe are seen or not seen are deer population can not support harvasting does. I was 16 when I shot my first deer. It was a youth hunt in 27 and it took me a few years to draw a tag.

it seems to me like its harder to get drawn for a youth hunt than it does for a regular hunt, I think the youth hunts should be designated tor the youth who are ranging from 10-14, just the aged where you need to take the hunter education class and let the older kids hunt the regular hunt, but thats just my .02 cents

12A for antlerless is really good for hunting. Last year we got drawn for the doe hunt in the kaibab and we got 4 out of 5 deer. This year we got drawn again for 12A. It is a really good hunt. Next year you need to put in for it. Try to get your son to take hunter ed because you get bonus points. (aka you basically get another chance to get drawn.) my cousins and i took it and that is the only reason were going again this year.

Advice from a 13 year old how desparate can you get? :lol:

As a ten year old my first hunt was the Kaibab doe hunt. It still holds the most memories of all my hunts. I would encourage you to take your kid on it. Hopefully both of you will have the fond memories that my dad and I have.

JDH

well it sounds like both you kids had a really good time on this 12a doe hunt it may be something to consider next year when I put my kids in for deer!