Sign in to follow this  
cusca

Semi-new hunter

Hey everyone, this looks like a great site! I've been learning a lot about coues whitetail deer and look forward to learning even more.

Since I'm new to the site, I'll explain my hunting background:

I grew up in Phoenix in a family that didn't hunt or even own any guns. When I was 18 I bought my first gun, which led both my father and brother to do the same. This eventually led to a few dove and quail hunting trips with friends. A few years ago, my brother and I decided to learn how to hunt big game. We no longer had friends in the area who could teach us, so we turned to books, TV, magazines, and the Internet. Since then we have hunted coues deer once and javelina twice, but without any success. The coues deer hunt was 2 years ago in Unit 21 during the December hunt. Although we weren't able to find any bucks, we did see a LOT of does.

We decided that if we hunt closer to home (Queen Creek) then we would be more likely to do more scouting. Last year we didn't get drawn, but we did this year...in unit 24A during late October. Although we have been through Globe many times, we are not very familiar with the surrounding areas. After reading the AZGFD's website section on where to hunt white-tailed deer in 24A and looking at TOPO maps, we at least have some ideas on where to start. We will be going out on Aug 15th to familiarize ourself with the area and possibly put out one or two game cameras. Following that, we plan to go out every other Saturday until the hunt.

Does anyone have advice specific to unit 24A that can help us, especially for the late October hunt? I'm not asking for anyone's hard-found secret spots, but any areas not listed on the AZGFD website, patterns, tips/hints, etc are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Call the unit game manager at game and fish.

Hi cusca - I live in Queen Creek as well. I have been hunting Arizona for the past 4 or 5 years. No success to speak of yet, but I sure have learned a lot! I drew a 24B tag for deer this year. Other than that though, I'm always willing to head out with a friend for javelina, archery deer, quail, predators, whatever.

Marshall

Just wanted to point out that even though you are going to hunt totally different conditions on the Oct. hunt... you may want to excersize even more patients in the field. ;) The concept that you saw lots of doe and no bucks in a Dec. (rut) hunt can mean many things.... but, I'd bet money that the bucks were there. ;) If you find a spot that has deer.... don't leave. I am infamous for sitting on the same rock all stinkin' day.... and it is not cuz I am lazy! ;) There be bucks in that thick brush! :D

Best of luck to you! ;)

Cusca,

This may sound like odd advice, but here it goes. Best way to get better at rifle hunting Coues. Buy a bow. Your story is similar to mine. Started hunting rifle with little success. After a few years of sucking I decided to get a bow to extend the sucking and what do you know, the extra time in the field allowed me to find spots with bucks. If you know bucks are there you have the confidence to sit all day on the hill like C+S. In fact if Oct is as hot as the last three or four your scouting should include looking for spots to sit and glass all day. Also do not overlook sitting a water hole between 10:00 and 2:00 in the thick stuff. Many rifle hunters overlook this method, but it worked with my son last October.

Bob

azshtr:

I never thought about calling the unit game manager because I assumed that they couldn't/wouldn't give out information different than the website. I think I'll give it a try.

muskrat:

Sounds good, maybe we can connect for the next spring javelina hunt or something.

Coues 'n' Sheep:

Yeah, we talked to a friend after that hunt and he said we should've been more patient because the bucks usually stay behind the does. Since that was our first big game hunt, we were quite ignorant. We're definitely going to be more patient this year.

bobbyo:

It's funny that you say that...because I recently bought a bow. I figured that a bow would be the only way to guarantee a deer hunt each year and it can be a backup in case a rifle hunt isn't successful. I'll make sure to keep an eye out for water holes and take your advice, especially for a warm October hunt.