ElkDeer

Reload 300 wby mag?

A co-worker of mine has finally talked me into reloading some ammo for this coming hunting season so I thought I would see what combinations of reloads are producing good groups for people. if you have a good load and wouldn't mind sharing please post. Thank you!

I shoot the Berger VLD 168 gr. with 82.5 gr IMR 7828 and seated just out past factory specs in my 300 WBY mag. ;)

I shoot 180 grain Scirocco IIs over 83.5 grains of IMR 7828 in R-P cases with Winchester large rifle primers. These chronograph right at 3,250 fps ten feet from the muzzle and consistently shoot into about an inch and a half at 200 yards. Seat them as far out as they will go and still feed reliably through the magazine. This is a maximum load (and is safe in my rifle), but you should start lower and work your way up.

I have used a lot of different things but mostly I use 85 grains H4831SC and 165 grain Hornady flatbase and SSTs. I have killed more game with the same load and 165 grain X bullets than any other combination.

Work up to this-my rifles have all had custom chambers and barrels.

I get about 3400 fps with the 165 grain loads. I have a 1-12 twist barrel. You might not get this with a 10 twist.

If I were setting out to hunt elk with it- I wouldn't use the SSTs.

I am also going to start working with Bergers in it as well. These are mostly an advantage for long, long ranges. Out to 500 yds, the regular bullets work pretty well.

+1

84 grains H4831 with 165 scirrocco or hornady BTSP

82 grains H4831 with 180's.

This combo has been accurate in any 300 WBy I have loaded for.

Again, work up to it...