Sign in to follow this  
SDHunter11

San Diego D16 hunt

Unfortunately I did not get drawn in Arizona this year. I grew up in Arizona and moved out to San Diego a few years back. I have been lucky to get drawn in Arizona until now. I bought a D16 mule deer tag over the counter here and was wondering if anyone was familiar with the area? Where to hunt? Size of deer out here? Anything will help. Thanks.

can't imagine you would get much help for that hunt on this site.

are there no CA hunting sites you can solicit on?

ibowhuntaz,

Thanks for the jesseshunting advice, I found some good information there. I guess I will just have to go out and get some extra scouting in. Hopefully I will be hunting in AZ next year and will not have to deal with california hunting! Thanks for the replies.

P.S. Sundevil, there are no hunting sites in CA, especially southern CA. I bought my tag over the counter and they don't even sell those out! Go CATS!

check out graylightproductions.com's forum.Alot of those guys are southern cali guys. there was even a post about SD archery hunters

D-16 is that the unit up near Cuayamaca? if so that is a great unit!! if I remember d-15 and d-16 are the 2 good units but get up high near the pines and there are some bruisers..also i know it might sound wierd but hunting the mountains near the border are great places too..its been a few (5 years) since I hunted those units so check it out first since fires and whatnot..not to mention homeland security..

By the way- expect decent bucks up to around 170-190" class...havent heard of many above that...

By the way- expect decent bucks up to around 170-190" class...havent heard of many above that...

Thanks for the advice! I will let everyone know how it turns out.

Try shockey truck trail past Campo..follow it south near the border then head west until you hit the huge canyon- skirt the edge up top and you should connect- or go near Lake Cuayamaca with archery gear up off SunRise Hwy..drive up early in the am this weekend and you will see what I mean!!

Almost forgot to mention the "boardwalk" haha...

There are other things to hunt on the boardwalk!