Sign in to follow this  
jamaro

treestand setup???

I can't imagine glassing for water. Good idea though. I can tell you from first hand experience that a lot and I mean a lot of water holes, tanks etc... are not listed on topo's. As a matter of fact from software to software there is stuff not listed. My topo software showed a few spring in an are and treestandman's showed 5 times as many....2 different softwares.

I can't imagine glassing for water.  Good idea though.  I can tell you from first hand experience that a lot and I mean a lot of water holes, tanks etc... are not listed on topo's.  As a matter of fact from software to software there is stuff not listed.  My topo software showed a few spring in an are and treestandman's showed 5 times as many....2 different softwares.

Coues7

What packages are you referring to?

Thanks

Dan

I have found that using mapping software with my GPS is very helpful. I can look at all the AZ maps, pick an isolated spring, guzzler, or tank, and download the coordinates directly into the GPS.

THe National Geographic and the Delorme maps seem very accurate and include roads and some features that the topos don't have. Plus, I can print out a section of the map to take with me instead of the whole topo.

I have the Delorme and Nat Geographic map software. Both have advantages over the other. My Delorme software has more detail w/ the springs and NG has more in the way of tanks. The 3-d options are different w/ both giving different scales on terrain. I can spend hours at home doing my prescouting w/ this software now.

As far as finding tanks and springs.. I have learned that the more maps you have the better... Some times they leave water out... My NG maps are usually the best... I like the fact that I can see the acutal hike... sometimes you can save some effort by look at the altitude change and plan a different route.

Jason