I guess I will start... Went down to Gardner Canyon to start it off on Saturday (couldnt go Friday), and only got a one bird. We hiked all morning only to head back to the truck and jump a covey 50 yards from the truck. After some terrible shots and some worse follow up shots, we ended up with 1 bird. We hunted that area a little more and managed to jump one more covey, with no kills. Ate lunch in Sonoita, and headed South of Patagonia for the duration of the afternoon. The wind was really blowing hard and we were not finding birds. Headed to a area with Cottonwoods and my dog flushed about 10 birds. We shot a few times and missed only to hear someone yelling at us. Come to find out they were deer hunters that we scared the crap out of. I dont think they realized quail season was on. That sort of ruined the mood and we called it a day. Day covey count =3. Birds killed =1.

Day two. Went further south about 3 miles North of the border. Hiked our butts off all day only to come back within 100yards of the truck and jumped a covey. Hit a couple right off the bat. These birds were holding tight, tight, tight. To give you an example, we looked for the first downed bird for about 30 seconds, but elected to come back after following the rest of the covey. We got another bird out of the covey, chased birds all over and came back 20 minutes later. I had two dogs and two of us searching for this bird. After about 5 minutes of searching a 10' x 10' area, my Father in Law, looked down and pointed at a nice female at our feet. It was just sitting there. I had to practically step on it to get it to flush again. So here we are 100 yards from the truck and wore out. As we are walking back to the truck again, I see a couple nice oaks and a little cut in the creek. We are 50 yards from the truck at this time. 5 birds flush and I miss the first two easy shots. The flushed birds landed about 25 yards away and I knew they would stay right there. After cussing myself for the easy misses, two more flush, but these are not so lucky. Two more get flushed and shot, then we shot the singles. We got 6 birds out of that bunch and ended day two with one limit.

I dont know what kind of a season this will turn out to be. The conditions seem quite a bit drier than last year. I think we did better than most even with all the misses. I am interested in hearing how everyone else did and if you think it is better or worse than last year. We talked to a few other hunters on day one that had been hunting two days and hadn't flushed a bird. I am amazed at the amount of hunters that chase these birds. It seems like there is more every year.

Lesson Learned- From now on I am just going to hunt around my truck.

Lugnuts,

I too found close to the truck to be a preferred spot. Rica pointed a covey 30 yards from the truck first thing Friday afternoon.

Your story reminded me of an archery elk hunt years ago. Came back to the truck in the evening only to have a bull bugling 30 yards away :o . This happened two nights in a row. Should have put a lwn chair atop the camper and waited till dark ;)

I posted my mearns report in another thread.

Doug~RR