Sign in to follow this  
Huntaholic

What's the best unit for road hunting??

Thanks guys. Yea I knew I might get some grief for asking this question but that's OK. I've hunted 31, 32, 33, 35a, 29, 28, 27, 30a, 30b and 34b. Out of these units I like 32 the best for road hunting that's probably because I know this unit very well and know places to glass from. I like 35a pretty well too but tends to get crowded and I don't know it very well yet. I forgot to mention that I want to be able to find deer within shooting range from the road. I don't want to be glassing deer up further than I'm willing to hike to recover the deer. I'd say nothing further than 600 yards off the road would be nice. I do have an old Jeep Cherokee that I'm not afraid to beat up but I do prefer to stay on the nicer less bumpy roads.

Well from the response so far it looks like I need to scout out 22 and 23 this year before the draw starts. The 36's sound pretty good also. I guess every unit probably has a road or 2 in it that one could hunt from. I'd just like to find the unit with the most roads and opportunity to find a buck close to these roads.

33 is the best unit for road hunting, especially from the Oracle side but don't diregard the Catalina Highway.and also from the san manuel road.

You 23 lovers are out of your mind..... :rolleyes: That is one of the meanest units in the state! For Coues any southern unit. For Carp... the Strip. For Elk....7. For sheep.... I'm not gunna tell you!!!! :lol: :lol: :P

No kidding. Dont forget to bring four spare tires, a helmet, and a mouth guard if your going to road hunt 23. :P

Yea I like 33 but only hunting on the far SE side. My bro and I hunted the youth hunt a few years back. I can't remember the name of the area I think it was Sunnyville or something like that. Nice area saw a lot of deer mostly does though also saw a lot of other hunters as well. He ended up taking his 1st deer on that hunt. I've already posted this a while back but for those who missed it here it is again http://www.vimeo.com/2181809

I'm with Justin on this one. 47M by far has the best roads. Even the farm roads are pretty good. There's alot of people in prison like serial killers that would probably tell you the hunting is pretty good too. :ph34r: :lol:

P.S. I'm not seriously recommending 47M but it does have the best roads.