Sign in to follow this  
pilgrim

Lens cleaning

Anyone Have any advice on the correct way to clean bino lens? I was using my lens pen & noticed it had left a bit of a smudge. Tried again & the smudge spread a bit. Tried using warm water on a Q-Tip, to no effect. The lens pen had worked great till now, all of a sudden like. Thanks...

pilgrim

Use the brush end of the Lenspen, or a photo bulb brush to get rid of the big particles. Then wipe with an alcohol lens wipe (available from Zeiss, B&L next to the eyeglass care section in stores). If you have crusty mud/dirt, I would wash under tap water first.

If you have oil from your brow on the ocular lens, you may need to use 2 lens wipes.

One problem with the suede pad of the lenspen is if you get abrasive particles on it, you will be rubbing them into the lens surface every time you use it.

Thanks, Red Rabbit for the advice. I'll check on those lens wipes, see if I can find some around here. Still can't believe there isn't a camera store in Prescott anymore! Thanks for the heads up on the sueade part of the lens pen.

pilgrim

Use the brush end of the Lenspen, or a photo bulb brush to get rid of the big particles. Then wipe with an alcohol lens wipe (available from Zeiss, B&L next to the eyeglass care section in stores). If you have crusty mud/dirt, I would wash under tap water first.

If you have oil from your brow on the ocular lens, you may need to use 2 lens wipes.

One problem with the suede pad of the lenspen is if you get abrasive particles on it, you will be rubbing them into the lens surface every time you use it.

Doug definitely knows expensive optics.

Turn the bino/eyepiece downward when brushing so that the grit falls and doesn't scratch.

Love the Zeiss spray bottle lens cleaner and wipes. DO NOT use Windex.

Thank you, MuleyMan. I really do appreciate all your advice. Think I will try the optic shop where I get my glasses at.

pilgrim