Sign in to follow this  
tontotom

Scouting for next year and calling

I'm not sure if this is the right place for the whole post but here goes- The boys and I have been thinking of putting in for some new units to hunt for 2010. I've only been in eastern arizona so we looked at tag numbers, border issues and draw success and came up with a plan to scout 36B, 35B and 36A if time allowed. We were going to look over the country and see what real Coues country looked like. We booked a motel in Nogales and headed out between Christmas and New Years.

All I can say is wow. What great country. Miles of rolling hills, oaks and some rough stuff as well. A lot of roadless areas as well. The Border Patrol was well represented and most were really friendly. To be honest we saw a lot of illegal activity including a truck (18 wheeler) that looked like it had a load of drugs parked next to the fence. Overall I felt very safe and had a great time.

We saw a few deer but didn't hike extended distances from the roads. We saw the type of country that we like to hunt and we called in 3 bobcats in 2 days as well as 1 coyote. The coyote and 2 of the cats were killed.

post-3953-1262497260_thumb.jpg

1st cat, medium male

post-3953-1262497372_thumb.jpg

2nd cat, large male

I think we found what we were looking for and look forward the heading back down. Cats seemed to come best to a jackrabbit sound. We would start off with bird sounds and switch to rabbit 4-5 minutes in. 1st cat in we didn't shoot, came in to my right from behind me and saw me before I could get the gun around. Very next stand another one came in at the 9 minute mark with jays announcing it's arrival. Called a coyote in late in the day but it got shot 3 times and wasn't very photogenic. The next morning on our 1st stand here comes bobcat #2 in at the 10 minute mark.