Sign in to follow this  
hunterboy

Weatherby ammo

does anyone know what type of bullet the 257 wby mag 115grain ballistic tip is?

i can not find out who makes the bullet barns spere no idea anyone know?

Nosler make the Ballistic Tip, but Hornady makes a similar bullet.

Accubond, Interbond, etc.

SST is Hornady non-bonded version of the Interbond, like Noslers Balistic tip.

:rolleyes:

The 115 gr Ballistic Tip in the .257 WBY ammo is made ny Nosler. But WBY also makes a .257 cartridge with the 115 gr Barnes-X.

Barnes-X is a solid copper bullet and is the epitome of penetrating bullets. It will zoom right thru a Coues deer with virtually no expansion, even if it goes thru a shoulder. The exit hole will prolly be .257 caliber. Blood trail will prolly be minimal.

Ballistic tips are expanding bullets. They are likely (but not always) to expand when they hit a Coues deer, particularly at the high velocity of a .257 WBY at close range. Out there @ 300-400 yards, this setup is super duper Coues medicine. But if you whack one close, don't expect complete penetration or undamaged meat.

I shoot a .25-06 with 100 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips moving out the barrel @ 3,300 fps for Coues and pronghorns. And I've whacked a number of 'em with this load between 150 and 375 yards. All have offered complete penetration and super performance, even the ones that went thru a shoulder.

If I were you, and insisted on using WBY ammo, I would use the Ballistic Tip for Coues. The Barnes-X load is for larger deer and caribou and elk and such. If I handloaded for the .257 WBY, I would experiment with the new Nosler Accubond or Swift Scirocco or one of the many new bonded core bullets.

I use the ballistic tip and it kills very dead........I actually had a ballistic tip in my .257 mag that still went through the deer and it was approximately 60 yards away when I shot it. Entry wound behind right front shoulder and exited through left shoulder with small pieces of copper on the coat. Bullet worked great..........Allen.....

You know, I was trying those accubonds on some jacks, they were devastating. Just blew them apart. The jack was gutted and quartered by the bullet. You might want to check into those bullets for all around use. I have them in a .270 Weatherby Mag. Just awesome.