Sign in to follow this  
Gregg

newcomer to the game

any info on 36a or tips for newcomer to the Coues world would be appreciated. I have three scouts scheduled and if someone could dial me in, it would be appreciated. thx

It is difficult to give you the advice on where to hunt since I don?t know what type of terrain or vegetation that you like to hunt in, or how you hunt. Some people might like to hunt big mountains with big canyons, and others may like to hunt rolling hills. Some might like to hunt the thick oak and manzanita, and some may like open areas with ocotillo and mesquite. It all depends on your personal preference. Some people like to sit and glass while others hike and jump them. The only thing that I can tell you is to get maps, and get out and drive and find where you can get into and where you can?t, access is a big issue. Find areas that look good to you and meet your hunting style. Get out and hike and glass a little. Getting into more difficult areas will usually mean fewer hunters to deal with. I believe deer can be found all over and most large canyons will have deer in them. I have seen white tail in areas where you wouldn?t think they are.

I don't have much info on 36A myself, but here's some advice;

Try to carve some time out of your schedule this fall to participate in the Unit 36 (a,b,c) ranch clean-up that Arizona Hunters Who Care and the G&F put on. It gives you a chance to drive around the unit, and also you can get to know a few folks who regularly hunt the area. The G&F Wildlife Manager for 36A (Gabe) is very involved in this effort, and usually camps-out for the weekend. It's a great opportunity to pick his brain for up to date info on the unit. Best of all, you can pick-up some trash and help keep things clean! ;)

The next trash clean-up weekend will be on October 22nd.

S.

:)

Where do you meet for the trash clean-up? These units are filthy with all the illegal traffic going through them. The illegals are filthy creatures. Hopfully one of these days we will be able to put a stop to them destroying our countryside.