Sign in to follow this  
gauchoand

Have you noticed?

Science vs Opinion. Within the topic of Global Warming/Climate Change, both are prevalent. Scientists study changes in the environment. Many environmental changes are affected by humans. I think man's presence on Earth has greatly affected many of the changes we see going on in the world. One's opinion on whether these changes are good, bad, or indifferent are just that - -one's opinions.

However, it is hard to argue scientific research. Glaciers have gotten smaller, the amount of ice in the Arctic Circle is shrinking, ground water and rivers have diminished drastically, and temperatures have risen. All of this has happened since the industrial revolution. Let's not even talk about how much desert/forest has been destroyed for development. Yes this could be a cycle, but why continue doing things that have proven to damage the environment - which includes you, me and the land we love to hunt on and explore.

Science is based on observations, data collection and conclusions.

Opinions are based on ?????????

The glaciers have been shrinking since the last ice age this land we live in is the product of melted glaciers and there is just as much scientific data showing that world wide we are on a cooling trend .... the science can be manipulated to try to support ones opinion and MAN is just VAIN enough to think that He can have control over the natural processes that have been going since the beginning of time ..... It does not matter what we do... things in mother nature are going to happen and this planet will far outlive our Human race .... We should take care of this planet in the way we would our own homes so we do not live in a wasteland that litters the natural beauty all around us ... but the propaganda of the Green Movement is about $$$$$$$$$ not Saving this earth ..... I am not against doing the right things for the right reasons but until we stop importing 70 percent of consumer goods from other countries such as China or outlawing plastic man made containers I will not buy into this joke of a movement ..... Like I say ADAPT OR DIE !!!!!! I hope it something comes and thins our masses and the strongest that know how to use the land and take care of what mother nature has to offer are here to survive....

You are correct - things in mother nature will happen without man's influence. But, there is no way anyone can deny the negative affect man has had on nature. The Green Movement was started over 40 years ago to shed some light on these issues - not raise money for their own agenda. I admit that some organizations have gotten out of control - but, neither you nor I have to support them.

The bottom line is - awareness had to be raised. There are so many Americans who don't give a crap about nature and this was the reason for the Green Movement.

BTW, lowering our use of plastic is one way to lower our reliance on other countries - less plastic means we need less oil to make the plastic........and yes, glaciers have been melting for years, but like I respoded to AC Guy, things are a little different now then they were 200 years ago.

The green Movement from the time the very first grants were handed out over 40 years ago to do the earliest studies has been multiplying their revenues at the cost of taxpayers ever since, and in the last 20 years faster than any other business model out there with majority of revenue coming from tax payers pockets ... According to the earliest research and scientist we should not be around today but we are.... And over the last 30 years the strictest GREEN legislation in the world has cost Americans far more than tax dollars.. We also Lost that which made us THE world leader ... Our Industry ... Our innovation ... and our Jobs... Our government Opened doors and through backwards economics made it not only necessary but down right inviting for our Company's to move abroad where they had no environmental Laws... No Labor laws... No unions and Low cost of manufacturing.... a process that only worked because of new import laws with lack of taxes or tariffs ..... They created a new America of Consumers of world products and ignored the fact that China, Japan and Mexico ect. All share the same Atmosphere as us and who even today barely have in place environmental laws that make any impact at all... We have had the technology for decades with filters and scrubbers to minimize pollutants in our emissions in our factory's but at a cost that was unforgiving to major companies SO why do it .... I could keep going but I know that for way to many it is to hard to understand how one little thing can have such large negative impacts over the course of time.... We need to start fixing the things that are broken and costing so many their way of life TODAY AND NOW !!! and the answer is not in a possible epidemic 1000 + years away

Marketing pure and simple. For every scientist proposing that Global Warming or Climate Change is a human-created problem, there is another that can show evidence that it is part of a bigger, natural cycle. The question is, where does the funding come from for these studies? How many grants won't be renewed if the findings don't align to pre-concieved agendas - with pending governmental policy attached?

The well-funded, "climate expert" scientists, living off of grants, are busy trying to convey a scientific consensus. Meanwhile, many non-funded scientists have started a grass-roots effort to show the other side of the data that does not support the "man-made" GW theory. Think about it, if your paycheck is based on supporting a pre-concieved outcome you are more willing to bend a little here and fudge a little there. If you have to stand up to your colleagues, go against the grain and put your carreer in jeapordy in the name of preseving scientific principals, you have to really believe in what you are proposing.

I'm not saying I know whether man is affecting our environment, I'm guessing we probably do to some point. But I will say I am highly skeptical of the leagues of paid-off PHDs who have a vested interest in promoting one idealogy over another. Likewise, I would place more credibility in the few who put their reputation and careers on the line to stand up against what they believe is politically motivated junk science.

It's just a nicer way to say it!! :D

Kind of like "illegal alien" changed to "illegal immigrant" changed to "undocumented worker".

What's next, "undocumented citizen" ? Or maybe just "citizen who just can't speak English"??

You may now refer to them as "International travelers."