Sign in to follow this  
jdb

NM GMU Coues draw thoughts

I see 4 Coues hunts available for this year for muzzleloader, all with the same dates 30 OCT through 3 NOV 2010 they are as follows:

Unit 23 Burro MTNS

Unit 23 All except Burro MTNS

Unit 24

Unit 27

From the draw data available at http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/recreation...sreport2009.xls

Hunt Limit 1st 2nd 3rd Total

DER-3-261 Y 25 43 45 33 121

DER-3-232 Y 50 28 43 34 105

DER-3-230 Y 50 1 20 23 44

DER-3-243 Y 50 0 21 17 38

I see that for 2009 hunters applied as follows:

Unit 27

Unit 23 Burro MTNS

Unit 23

Unit 24

From http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/recreation...rvestReport.pdf for 2008-2009 I found the following from Table 6:

Based on Muzzleloader Success Rate ONLY I see

Unit 27

Unit 23 (Data does not include a break down of Burro MTNS or Except Burro MTNS)

Unit 24

Have I baffled myself with data, or is this what you would expect? Any thoughts as to what you think is welcomed! I am not asking for your secrets, or specifics but if you were to rank the GMU's for a draw what order would you go with. For all I can tell from the above, maybe all the deer in 2008-2009 came from the Burro MTNS hunt and none were taken from the except Burro MTNS hunt.

My friends and I have hunted the 27 muzzy hunt numerous times.... It is a great hunt. Limited access, but if you backpack in, you can have an incredible hunt. Just get 3-5 miles from the access points (roads) and set a base camp. You will have an incredible hunt. I would recommend hunting it with a buddy.