Sign in to follow this  
Red Rabbit

Bull and Cow Elk Calling

They are pretty good DVD's, I have three or four of them and the book the guy has written. I think the best info is how he goes in depth about learning what the elk are actually saying to each other, and responding accordingly. I think a lot of people just get out and start calling or bugle, he discusses how to learn what you are saying when "talking" to the elk, it will increase your chances, and I agree. The book is called the "playbook", goes into some scenarios about what are some real world tactics when different scenarios arise. This guy primarily hunts in Idaho on public over the counter hunts, and they do extremely well for that area. Red, if you are interested, I would be willing to let you borrow any or all of these DVD's or book for a while, I will be in unit 8 in October as well helping my best friend on his tag, maybe we can share some scouting info as well as the summer goes on.

They look more informative than the average hunting video these days, which are seemingly all entertainment and no substance. That month before the October season should be a good time to scout and locate the bulls in 8 and apply the info from these DVDs. It will be interesting how many applied for these October hunts.

Doug~RR

They are a lot more informative than the average DVD, these vids contain no hunting footage, nothing but "how to's" and other good info. I am interested as well to see how many put in for the October hunts, especially in 8. 8 was the only october hunt that didn't have a cow hunt immediately preceding it, in fact, no bulls will be hunted since the end of archery in there. Told my non-res buddy to take a shot at that hunt because I wasn't sure how many would apply for it, he ended up drawing it with 3 pts. I'll probably make it up there a few times during the summer to check a couple of spots, probably throw a trail camera or two out at the end of that muzzie cow hunt at the end of september. I'll be helping out on elk hunts in NM for the first couple of weeks of October, so hopefully they'll still be talking by the time we get there.