Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Unit 34 Turkeys??

I have never been turkey hunting in NM, but was thinking of taking advantage of the OTC tags and do a long weekend hunt. I'm a little familiar with unit 34, as my son had a Youth elk tag there a few years ago. We hunted the area just south of Cloudcroft, and it looked pretty good for turkeys in there. That's the general area that I was thinking of trying....

Question is; Is anyone familiar with the snow levels up in that area, and how the access will be? I was thinking of hunting the weekend of 4/22-4/24.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

S.

:)

I was up there today. Snow is about 2 feet <_< . I think by those dates it should be down a lot from what it is now. There was limited access with my truck, so we walked in.

Derek

I have several friends who have cabins up there. They have pretty good numbers of birds right around their places (some of them feed the turkeys all winter long). From what others said at the Turkey Workshop in Las Cruces last week, it sounds like there are lots of birds in the Sacramentos. The area around Cloudcroft should hold quite a few birds. I would go for it, if I were you.

IF you can get into the right spots, you can definitely get into a lot of birds. The problem right now is access to those spots. There are some ares you can still get to that hold a lot of birds.

Derek

Stanley,

The area your son killed his bull in holds tons of turkeys; however, like PSE said, it is still under a couple feet of snow. Hunting pressure is pretty high there early in the season as well, but there are plenty of birds to be found most years. I'm not sure what this late snow pack is going to do yet as far as turkeys moving back into the high country. Let me know if you need a hand.

Kevin

Thanks to all for the information. I know the elevation is high, and therefore am not too surprised of the reports!

Kevin, thanks for the detailed confirmation!! I was hoping that you would chime-in on this thread..... ;)

Hmm.... Based on this, I'm not sure if I'll try there or lower on the 23rd, or if I'll wait til later in the season. Maybe two relatively warm weeks will melt enough snow?? Maybe I'm dreaming?? lol Available weekend time becomes an issue with busy kid stuff in May though! :blink:

Thanks again all!

S.

:)