Sign in to follow this  
yotebuster

Antelope

Hey there, I was lucky enough to pull a 19A Early antelope archery tag this year with only 1 point! Anyhow, I'm a little mixed up on what the boundaries are on this hunt. It says "east of robert road and north of 69/169, which makes sense, but also north of 89a is in there too. Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't 89a north of 69/169? Or is it just saying you can't hunt west of robert road in the little chunk south of 89 and north of 69/169? Sorry, just a bit confused on this whole thing. Also any info on what I can expect out of this hunt? Looks like quite a few tags in a small chunk of ground. Are they rutting that time of year, seems early to me, but I'm new to AZ antelope, only hunted them back in ND where they rut in mid Sept. Thanks in advance for any advice. YOTE

I also have a 19a tag and they should send you a map with your tag outlining the boundaries and all the state and private property land. 40 tags may seem like alot but i remember when they had 80 archery tags on the 1st and 2nd hunt. The bucks should be in full rut by the time the hunt comes around and it may get better for the 2nd hunt. Oh and by the way it took me 11 pts to draw this tag so you should be very happy you drew it with 1 point.

ruthunter, thanks for the info, I got my tag in the mail saturday and it didn't come with any info other then the tag. Hopefully I'll get some additional stuff in the mail later. That's great that there will be some rutting action, I love hunting antelope with a bow! I'm getting pretty pumped for this hunt already! I'll maybe give the G&F a call this week and see if they forgot to put my info in there.

I drew that tag 2 years ago and again this year. I live in 19A and am very familiar with the unit. There is a great map that you can request from the WM for the unit. Her name is Virginia and she is a great source of info.

A lot of the unit is private land. Some of it you have to pay a trespass fee to hunt, some you can hunt for free and some you cannot hunt at all.

Shoot me an email with any questions you might have. lanoue25@yahoo.com

Like Blake said the place is covered with private land but there are a couple of ranchers that will let you hunt on their places but you need to get up there and talk to them. Be careful on the Perkin's place there is a guy that runs it that has a super hot head his name is Danny Majors. Since Mr.Perkins is not on the ranch much and Danny's brother in law got killed a couple years ago he is the main guy and believe me he is not a pleasant man to deal with.

There is public land that a lot of guys don't hunt and you should really try to find the areas to hunt on that land. Forget water holes because there will be ground blinds all over them a month or two before the hunt and there will be hunters in them sleeping to hunt them. The 19A hunt is the type of hunt that you need to hunt through the entire week to give you the chance to dodge the rest of the 39 hunters out there.

The antelope are not as prevalent in the unit either because the G&F has done some transplanting and have taken a lot of antelope off the unit. There is a new highway going right across the Granite Dells and i hope it isn't going to take out the Burris ranch (Deep Wells) on the west side of 89A because that used to be some of the best hunting in the unit.

Good luck guys and make sure you give the public land just north of Perkins place a good look!

Hey thanks for the info guys! I'm gettin excited! Looks like I'm gonna have to get my butt in gear early on scouting this unit out. Sounds like a challenge for sure, but that's always good! YOTE