Sign in to follow this  
jeffcros

Ibex

I drew the nanny hunt 2 years ago. My advice to you is get in great shape, have some very good boots and lose any fear of heights you may have. They are an absolute blast to hunt and are amazing to watch. You can glass them up on just about any part of the mountain from the bottom. My girls and I spent a lot of hours watching them during the summer before my hunt.

The hardest part of the hunt is drawing a tag. There really isn't any reason not to kill one if you draw. There are tons of animals, you just have to get within range of them.

Kevin

Advise... Learn the virtue of patience!! This is my 11th yr of trying for a tag.. And I suspect I've barely cracked the surface. The rifle tags are as hard as drawing a sheep tag.

If you REALLY want to hunt a Bezoar Ibex (that is the species in NM), save your coins for a few years and go to Turkey and chase em' on the home range.. The billies they are shooting there are just insane.

I'm hunting Mid-Asian Ibex next year..

Best of luck with the draw!! If you do draw, you are in for the hunt of a lifetime!

Kevin hit it right on the spot. All I can really add is try to find one on the lower half of the mountain. They are easier to get on and not as frustrating when the give you the slip ;) Here is a picture of a hunter I guided on the youth hunt this past season. Not a monster, but still a nice billy.

Derek

post-3756-1271120945_thumb.jpg