Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Youth Turkey Hunt

Went out with my oldest today focusing on 3C N. of 260. Had a couple good talkers, but they went totally silent after leaving the roost. Hit all the tanks in the area and most had no tracks and a couple had some but very few.

I'm not sure if they are higher following the snowline, or if it's just a little early - anyone have any suggestions? I'm planning on moving to unit 1 tomorrow via Vernon and trying to get closer to the snow line, but aside from that I'm drawing a blank. I did go into an area in 3C closer to the rim off of the Pinedale road (one of the few that is open) but found very little sign. Anyone else finding more agressive birds?

Just got back from Unit 1. Stay out of the snow, Vernon should work. Very little talking once they leave the roost and they pick back up close to dark. We did fill two tags opening day, TOMS not with hens yet that we saw. Good luck!

Congrats on filling two tags! Great job. Got some good youth pix to share? How receptive were the birds to calling?

Just back from 1, lots of birds. They talk a lot off the roost for an hour. they are receptive to calling.

I talked to game and fish, and forest service. Its to early for the Toms. Maybe next weekend. There is a veiw talking in the morning. But not like they should be.