Sign in to follow this  
JLW

6a day trip

Went out to retrieve my treestand just south of Stoneman lake yesterday.

Stopped to make a couple sets for some coyotes.My brother-inlaw had his 5 year old with us.

Howled 1 up had him on a dead run til he dropped off into a wash and must have circled to get the wind.

My nephew was putting his head in and out of his jacket( this was actually quite funny as he is toe headed and his head shined bright)

No luck! So we retrieved my treestand and checked a couple of spots for sheds with no luck.

We decided to take the FR214 down to Camp Verd.It started to snow, visability was about 75-100yds.

We saw lots of elk wich is always exciting for the young ones.

Then the snow let up for a bit and we hit another stand.

Had them howling all around us. We sat more seperated this time so the coyotes would focus on my location instead with me calling.

After a session of howling I gave them a little pup distress. 2 min in I hear the bark of the .243.

I let the caller go a few more minutes and nothing else came.I get up to see what we got and with the look on my brother-inlaws face it was

a clean miss look.Coyote came from his left and caught him moving the rifle. At least the boy got to see some action.

We continued on down the hill saw 75- 100 more elk. One of the groups was still sporting several rag horns.

What a great day!

James