Sign in to follow this  
PSEps

Recurve

What recurve do you shoot? Draw weight, arrows, brand.... Looking at buying one and don't wanna buy junk.

Derek

Hey man I shoot a Black Widow Recurve at about 52 lbs at 26". Arrows are custom Cedar arrows made by a couple of guys here locally in Silver City. For broadheads I use Zwickey 100 grain 2 blade glue ons.

Black Widows are considered to be top of the line by many in the traditional shooting community, but they definately are costly. For an "average" bow you are looking at probably around $800 with upgrades going up from there.

Bear Bows are usually a pretty good bet for a mid-range priced bows as well as others.

My advice is to buy new, but if you have a chance to buy a used bow I would find someone who really knows traditional gear and have them check it out very closely. There are many things to look out for on a used bow including hair line cracks, twisted limbs, etc.

If you have some specific questions, PM me and I will get you in contact with some local guys who are experts when it comes to traditional gear.

jeff

Ya I will contact you when I figure out what I am gonna do. Thanks for the info. I am just looking for a bow that will be good for elk. Jeff, if you need an elk tag if you don't draw, give me a call. I am selling 34 tags (8 MB, 12 ES archery, and the rest antlerless). I am gonna start selling them when I find out if I drew and then I will sell them from there. Be sure and let me know right after the draw if you want one. I am selling them very cheap to local guys that I know will actually use them. PM me for the details of where, and all that god stuff.

Thanks,

Derek

PSEps....I'm a Black Widow shooter. If you are interested I'm going to sell a PSA III 60" 53# @ 27" draw. At 28" draw this bow would be 56#. This bow was built in 2005. This is a three piece recurve in excellent condition. I'm asking $ 600.00 plus shipping. The only reason I'm selling it is because I have changed to a Black Widow longbow. Black Widow Bows is an excellent company located out of Nixa Mo. Their service/quality is second to none. I like 53# to 56# for elk/deer hunting. Becarefull not to over weight yourself on bow poundage because you will not be able to control the bow causing you to loose accuracy. There is nothing that takes the place of a razor sharp broadhead that is well placed . I'm one of the guys that has built cedar arrows for Jeff that he mentioned earlier. Consider your draw length on your compund bow and most likely you will be one inch shorter. If you need any more help send me a PM. Goodluck! Gilaman.

PSEps.....

I would definately take up GILAMAN on his deal on the Black Widow if it is in your price range. I bought my BW from him a few years ago and couldn't be happier with it. He takes excellent care of his equipment and I can tell you that you will not have to worry about twisted limbs, abuse, etc. His arrows are top notch as well! If you have further questions he is the person you should contact, I am sure he would be more than happy to help out.

One word of caution though........traditional hunting/shooting is VERY addictive ;)

jeff

Gilaman I am very interested. After the draw when I get some money back, and hopefully an archery elk tag I will get witht you. How much are you charging for arrows?

Derek

Dude......pick up a longbow while your out shopping and give it a go. A big differnece in shooting styles and an overall different feel. I personally have both and shot a recurve for years. I own two recurves and shoot my longbow more often just cuz its fun.

My longbow pulls 65# @ 28" and shoots off the shelf. Still have yet to take a "biggame" animal with LB. Good luck.

Zwickeys are nice....I've stuck a few in limbs and dirt throughout the rez the past years. I got lucky and have a buddy who gave me 2 doz. old bear razorheads! 145 gr. ones which I now use. Excellent heads and sharpens so easy.

I also shoot cedar, various weights from 40-55#spine. My longbow shoots 45# arrows (selfbow) and recurve 50-55# @30.5"