oz31p

scope problems

its really my problem more than it is the scopes.

i went out this mourning to teach a 9y old how to shoot a scoped rifle. after 30 min of instruction his first group was about 1 1/2in. he got a little better as time when on. he was shooting a 243 with nikon 3-9 prostaff off of my gun claw. he shot about 40 round and did great. we then switch to pistols because he sayed "this is too easy"

my dumb a$$ left the gun sitting on the claw on the tripod. we where 20y away when the mother of all dust devils came through and knocked the whole dam thing over, scope first into the ground. right before we left i wanted to check my zero other wise i would be worried until the next time i shot it. i have hotroded the rifle my self and its a 1/2moa rain or shine. i took 3 shoots at 100y, walked up to check the target. target is was clean. i was not really that surprised, i have been quite happy with this scope but i seen it hit and it hit the ground hard. i did not want to fix it on the spot so at least now i know i need to remount the scope zero out the adjustments and start over. but coyote season is still months away so i got the time but i have a feeling ill be back out shooting monday or tuseday if i can find the time so make up some more ammo.

Agctually you are somewhat lucky. Don't know if the gun was empty but being left on the tripod I assume it had a chance it was pointing in your direction. So when you look at the big picture it could of been a devistating accident.

the rifle was empty pointing in the opposite direction with the bolt removed. i left it seated on the tripod to let it cool down a bit before i put it away.

i think i got the scope zeroed out in order to start over. the reason i say i think is a nikon prostaff 3-9x40 bdc has 80moa of adjustment. witch is 320 clicks total. i was unsure witch way i had went when i originally sighted it in so i went all the way up then all the way down. it has 420 all the way up to all the way down. i counted them 3 times. after my initial confusion i when all the way up and then 210 down. ill guess ill bring extra ammo when i try to re sight it in.

I had a similar situation with a 1" swaro. I had 3 sets of leupold bases that didnt have enough elevation in them. My scope was maxed out and still shooting 8" low. I switched to talley bases/rings and was 4 clicks from dead center to bore sighted. Im sure if you start over it will be the same for you. Its always hard to watch the tack drivers take a hit.

jsut a thought that a Laser boresighter is a lot easier and cheaper than all that ammo.

i normally can get them pretty strait. plus this way i get to shoot a little more and i reload every thing i shoot. i would have got out today but we had a bday party for my daughter. mabey next weekend i can get out and atleast see if it will hold a zero again.