Sign in to follow this  
gotcoues

Dolly Steam boat ride June 26th and G & F presentation

I received an email from G & F about this event. From what I understand it fills up quickly, they have less than 100 spots available at this time. I thought this would be a great experience for most people. My girlfriend Colleen and I will be going with another couple from CWT Tracy and Angie (Gr8Whitejr & girlygirlhunter). I'm pretty sure we're going to have to sport some CWT gear and hopefully we might run into some future friends from CWT

Justin

Arizona Game and Fish Department

NEWS RELEASE

For immediate release, June 15, 2010

See bighorn sheep on Canyon Lake with the Arizona Game and Fish Department and the Dolly Steamboat

This guided wildlife viewing experience starts with an evening classroom presentation where participants can learn about bighorn sheep, their natural history, management and historical significance from a wildlife biologist. The following morning, participants will join biologists for a morning aboard the Dolly Steamboat where the group will tour the lake to view wild bighorn sheep in their natural environment.

The presentation will be held on June 25 from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. at Game and Fish’s regional office located at 7200 E. University Drive in Mesa. The lake tour and viewing will take place on June 26 from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on the Dolly Steamboat.

“June is the time of year when the bighorns stay pretty close to water. It will be hot on the lake, and there will be little shade on the boats, but that’s when bighorns come down to the water’s edge for a drink,” said Brian Anthony, Game and Fish wildlife manager in the Canyon Lake district. “The hotter it is, the better the opportunity to see sheep along the banks.”

Pre-registration is requested for both the Friday evening classroom session and the Saturday lake tour. The Friday classroom session is free, and those planning on doing the lake tour are strongly encouraged to attend to maximize their knowledge and viewing experience. To register for the Friday evening classroom session, call Randy Babb at the Game and Fish Mesa office at (480) 324-3546. Registrations will be taken on a first-come, first-served basis, as the presentation is limited to 70 people due to facility restrictions.

The Saturday lake tour and bighorn sheep viewing experience will be on the Dolly Steamboat and costs $30 per person. Advance registration is required. To register, call the Dolly Steamboat at (480) 827-9144. Participants are encouraged to bring a camera, hat, sunglasses, sunscreen, and binoculars. Snacks and drinks may not be brought on the Dolly Steamboat, but can be purchased onboard.

Those that have not registered prior to the event will be accommodated as space allows.

“This is a great opportunity for people to learn about bighorn sheep, and conservation efforts by the Game and Fish Department and its partners for bighorn sheep,” says Anthony.

Anyone with questions about the workshop may contact Randy Babb at (480) 324-3546 or e-mail rbabb@azgfd.gov.