Sign in to follow this  
Vinnie B

Burro Mtn. in unit 23

I have a buddy that drew a tag for the Burro Mtn. area in unit 23 for coues deer. He was told it is a great unit for whitie's. Has anybody hunted in this area and is it as good as he was told?

QUOTE (Vinnie B @ Jun 17 2010, 12:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have a buddy that drew a tag for the Burro Mtn. area in unit 23 for coues deer. He was told it is a great unit for whitie's. Has anybody hunted in this area and is it as good as he was told?

Try the search function. I know there has been a lot of different threads on the Burros. I'm sure you will find what you're looking for. Good luck to your buddy.

I hunted the coues deer in the Burro Mtns in 2007 when there were only 25 whitetail tags.

The deer numbers are very good. You will see deer.

Of course any unit has the potential to hold monster trophy sized deer but, this little hunt area isn't overflowing with 100"+ bucks.

Scouting is (as always) very important. Don't plan to hunt from a vehicle (by that I mean you need to get away from the vehicle to see the best spots). Gettting to the high glassing spots is typically a hike (not torture).

It's a small unit and most of its habitat is coues deer friendly (in other words you'll find them in most parts of the unit...if not all).

There are muleys as well and just as many tags for them critters.

Pick a good campsite and don't just plop your tent in the middle of the deer.

I drew this hunt again this year...see ya' in the field.

Silver City is very close and is home to some great hunters that know the area. If you're looking for professional help you'll want to contact Tommy Maldonado. There's a thread about his business at the beginning of Coues Deer Hunting in New Mexico. Amanda would probably recommend him as well.

He will definately hunt it hard and do as much scouting as work will let him... Walking to get to glassing spots is not a problem, he is a mule when it comes to hiking and packing.

Gino, I will give you a call on Monday...

Calling Tommy is very good advise. He will save you time and miles with his scouting package. Silver City lodging is very convenient to hunt the Burros if you don't have gear to camp. I did not hunt the north end at all, so I do not know anything about the upper 1/2. I saw Coues eveyday in the areas I hunted west of Silver. There are mule deer hunters afield at the same time, so you will have some company. Getting away from roads and trails will help avoid other hunters.

There is a rifle range to check your gun east of town (Grant County Public Shooting Range).

I hope to draw again soon. I did not shoot the first good buck I saw which was probably not a good thing. My first Coues hunt, so I did not know good from better. Definately was not a 100 inch buk but after the fact I realize Coues are hard earned. I saw a forkie I could have killed as well and then jumped another which was decent but I could not get a shot off in the thick area. A quick confirmation that is was a 6 or 8 point, but he flashed away into cover.

Good Luck!