SuperiorBowHunter

Kowa Spotter VS. Swarovski Spotter

You obviously didn't look through the Prominar model- TSN-883 or TSN-884. Those flourite crystal lenses are sharper than Swaro's HDs by a handy margin. I have spent plenty of time behind both looking at long range targets and can easily see bullet holes with the Kowa that I could NOT with the Swaro. The Leica seems as good as the Kowa and is quite robust. I am a big Swarovski fan but I can sure tell the difference between the Kowa Prominar and anything that Swarovski makes.

I have never taken either one on a hunt so I can't tell you how they hold up in the field, but on the target range, the Kowa was better. Period.

The guys brought out the TSN-883 the 88mm! It was the ones you guys told me about! Even the guys at the Outdoorsmans laughed at me when I said that they were supposed to be as good or better then the Swarovski! Even the guys at Bear Basin said the same thing They brought out all the top of the Line ones the new Ziess, Leica,Kowa, and Swarovski!!!! I'm telling you guys that they new what they were doing! I was about to focus on hikers on the hill, so i had plenty of things to study!

SuperiorBowHunter,

I'm glad you found what YOU like! That is the most important thing. We can argue back and forth which is better, which is clearer, which has better coatings, which has better focus, etc., but at the end of the day, it's YOUR spotting scope and YOU should be happy with it.

I try to tell everyone that as long as you are looking at a few different brands representing the very best quality, what it finally should come down to is what YOU think. We all have different reasons for liking different things. I'm just glad we have so many choices!

Speaking of choices, I hope you are happy with your experience at the Outdoorsmans. There are plenty of places to buy optics, and even a few that support this site, but NONE of them do as much for hunters and wildlife as the Outdoorsmans. They are members and officers of conservation groups, they donate their time and money to those groups, they design products for hunters, and actually use the products in the field. The owners, managers, and salesmen at the Outdoorsmans are all hunters and shooters and know optics from that standpoint; they're not just salesmen in an office building!

Trent

Once again Thank You very much for your help and support! The guys at the Outdoorsman had nothing but good things to say about you and they were kinda expecting me because of what you told them! So again thank for everything! I also got suckered into buying the 10X42 ELs aswell! Those things are amazing! Now another quick question for you guys? what about the eye piece? it looked like the 50x was able to pull in alot more of the light were as the 60X gave me longer range but was not as bright as the 50! Is this just me or is there something behind what i found? And it reminded me of being in a pawn shop with all those guys carrying pistols! lol is that a bad part of town or have they had some problems in the past? And Trent does Jay Scott ever blog on here? I would love to pick his brain abit! Wouild also love to meet him maybe take him out to lunch!

Glad you found a scope that works. I didn't buy a Kowa only because it was too big around for my pouch! Of the Euro stuff- I like the Zeiss and Leica spotters but they are spendy!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I looked long and hard through many scopes and chose the KOWA 774. It was 2/3 the price of the Swarovski

STS80HD and in my eyes it is brighter, every bit as clear, same weight, easily fits in the pack. Comparable in weight to my 15x56's. My hunting partner has had both STS65HD and STS80HD. Side by side the KOWA finds game better in low light situations. I have tested the Swarovski warranty and it is without peers. I have yet to need the Kowa warranty services but in the mean time that $1000 savings bought a Winchester Model 70 in 300 Weatherby with a Leopold VX III 4.5-14x40 scope.

I just bought myself a Kowa TSN 773 Angled 77mm Prominar Spotting Scope from eagleoptics. They have demos on sale for $1,249.99. I just couldn't pass that up.