Sign in to follow this  
cgrhunter

13B Tag

I was blessed with a 13B archery tag this year and am looking for some general information on the unit.

I haven't been to the unit before and, given the early hunt dates, am planning on starting my scouting in the higher elevations (say over 6000 ft). I also know that rainfall can have a big impact so will adjust accordingly.

I am not looking for the monster buck and don't have a problem hiking a mile or more off the 4WD roads as long as I can get the game back to the truck quick enough that it doesn't spoil in the heat (if I'm that fortunate).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

personally that is such a trophy tag that id start talking to guides. that is a hunt that deserves MONSTER attention. ryan hatch with muley crazy magazine may be able to help. just curious but why put in for a strip tag without being after a monster?

personally that is such a trophy tag that id start talking to guides. that is a hunt that deserves MONSTER attention. ryan hatch with muley crazy magazine may be able to help. just curious but why put in for a strip tag without being after a monster?

+1... Many good guys that know that country.... Get a reputable outfitter.....

Congratulations on your draw ... but in that unit, YOU NEED TO BE AFTER A MONSTER. That is THE STRIP ... if you draw the Strip, you don't want to come back with Bambi ... you want to come back with his Great Great Grand Dad.

I was lucky enough to be drawn for 13A (also part of the Strip) 3 years back ... passed on several "nice" bucks looking for the real Wallhanger ... he never showed ... too warm. Got drawn again for it this year (what luck) ... I'll still pass on the "nice" ones, looking for the trophy. This year I know better where to go (thanks to a couple of locals) if the weather will cooperate and stay cool.

As far as guides go, if you have the money ($4-$5K or so) there are some really good ones up there. I just don't have that kind of scratch laying around that I could spend without a subsequent trip to a divorce attorney (and thus another big expense). If that sounds like you, you'll need to spend some quality time up there getting to know the unit and try to establish some areas that see good deer activity. If you have the money, get the guide ... I would if I had it.

Thanks to all who responded. Just to be clear, when I say that I am not after the monster, yes I'd love to get him and I'm not going to shoot Bambi, but I probably wouldn't pass up his dad or grand dad if he had a nice set of horns. I was in the Coast Guard most of my life and simply didn't get that many chances to hunt and have still to get my first kill with a bow.

I am looking into the guide and, if finances will permit, will go that way. Fortunately my wife understands how rare the opportunity is and supports the idea, but with a daughter going into college this year and a son next, $4000-5000 is a ways out of my range. I'll see what shakes out though.

Thanks again,

Terry

See if you can get guide service only, minus the camp, food etc. That will save you some money.

I'll talk to a buddy of mine who went to that unit and did the guide thing last year ... maybe I can get some information out of him for you. He didn't get one, but the guide did put him on some 180 class bucks ... he just wanted bigger. One guy in the camp broke 200 on a nice buck.

I'll let you know what I find out ... he's usually pretty willing to share information.

Not to sound like a jerk... cuz that is not what I am meaning to do...... however, why put in for the BEST archery draw unit in the state, not to mention one of only two "safari grade" mulie units in the state, if all you were looking for was a "good" buck??? There is Tons of opportunity hunts out there.... Primo tags should go to guys with Primo expectations....IMHO....

To do a strip tag justice you can spend a ton of $$$ on gas, mobilization, time off work, etc., etc..... or you can pay someone to handle the logistics and just simply enjoy the hunt.... It takes me 5 1/2 to 6 hours to drive up to 13B (plus drive time within the unit) .... too properly scout that for myself, I'd have my wife more pissed off than if I just cut a check and paid for it for a year (or two)... ;) There are some Primo guys that only hunt that stuff... whatever they charge is worth it... put it on credit... you won't regret it! ;) :D

Contact Kory & Larry Bundy from At First Light Guide Service (link above). They'll work with you on price and tailor a hunt for you. When I drew that archery tag in 2008, I used Kory.......I provided my own camp, food, transportation, and was able to spot-n-stalk.......I simply wanted some help on where to hunt. They did that for me......A LOT cheaper than $4000.00. I was done opening morning within 15 minutes of stalking. Give them call asap, as they fill up quickly.

BOHNTR ... what did that cost? For sure if they will do that kind of package with you, it is worth doing ... as long as the price is right.

No word back from my buddy yet on where he hunted. Still working on it.

Back then (08) I believe it was either $2000 or $2500 (can't remember exactly).....that was for five full days if needed. They also video taped my quick hunt (stalk, shot, recovery). Made for some great memories I can still pop into the DVD and relive/share with others.

Yeah ... about half price ... that seems like a pretty decent deal.

Back then (08) I believe it was either $2000 or $2500 (can't remember exactly).....that was for five full days if needed. They also video taped my quick hunt (stalk, shot, recovery). Made for some great memories I can still pop into the DVD and relive/share with others.

Roy, any chance we can see that footage? :)