Sign in to follow this  
CHD

Flags

Let me ask you guys and gals a question.

When you jump and really spook a mature buck, does he wave that flag as he runs away or does he keep it tucked in?

Chris Darnell

Edited by CHD

In my experience Chris, if a buck is trying to sneak away, he'll keep it tucked in. When he explodes out of cover and runs full out, he will put his tail up and put it flat on top of his back. I can't recall ever seeing a Coues deer actually waive their flag back in forth like an Eastern whitetail. They will either put their tail strait up when there just a little bit alert, but when their hauling butt they will put their tail flat on top of their back. That characteristic is unique to the Coues. Does that sound right Amanda?

Travis

Edited by 5yearcoueshunter

Guest Ernesto C

In my opinion CHD,if you JUMP and SPOOK the deer he will have the flag strait up, and sometimes will put it down for a few steps and up again and so on. First he will try to get out of danger and once he feels he's safe he will be walking with his tail up because he will try to alert other deer of the danger near by. Thanks and Blessings.

Ernesto C.

I agree with Ernesto. I have seen lots of Coues, and the tail goes up if they feel a threat. I have seen one raise a tail and the others in their group are quickly alerted. After a while, if they are not spooked, they can return to their previous activity.

As far as Waving their flag, I have seen what could be called a waving motion as they trot away. The waving is not so apparent when they run away at high gear after they spook.

In either case, the flag up is not what we Coues hunters want to see!

Yes, I think a big buck will flag when alarmed. But I also know that a big buck seems less likely to spook and run than a smaller buck or does/fawns. They are likely to try and hide or slink out unobserved. If you read the hunt story by Martin Guerena in my hunt story section, you will understand what I mean by a big buck hiding while the does ran. And I also find that the big bucks when travelling in bachelor groups in Nov will allow the smaller bucks to "expose" themselves first. Usually the biggest buck will be following, or allowing the little buck to step out of cover first. Have you guys noticed that?

As far as waving the flag, I can't say I remember watching them wave, but I imagine they do sometimes. All the times I can think of they have put it straight up. Perhaps Travis is right that Coues don't do it often. I will have to start watching for that consciously now!

Amanda

Amanda

Your posting has reminded me of how when I first started hunting these deer about 20 years ago, I always expected to see the Big Buck Leading a group of other deer. You are correct! This sight NEVER happens. Always in my experience I find the bigger bucks will sit tight or stay out of sight while the smaller bucks and does might be up and exposed. I would guess that at least a dozen times I (or people in my group) have nearly stepped a big one bedded tight. Several times, even after a smaller buck was taken within only a stones throw of the bigger slyer buck that stayed down and conceiled.

The ones that live to be bigger, do get smarter.

As always, thanks for the good insight and reminders.

:blink:

Your discussion about hesitant (and smart!!!!) older bucks reminds me of my first deer hunt some 29 years ago. It happened on the White Sands Missile Range in southern New Mexico.

My dad and I had hunted the opener without seeing a buck. On the second day, we hiked away from the road and looked at some great country without seeing a deer. In the afternoon, we jumped 3 or 4 does and a buck while I was plodding along staring at my feet. My dad shouted "shoot the buck" while firing at the bounding muleys and I managed to squeeze off one shot at a doe with my Winchester Model 94 .30-30. No hits. The deer bounded thru a saddle and we eventually followed them.

When we got up into the top of the saddle, I looked off to the right and saw what looked just like the shape of a deer hiding behind a bush (one of the few in the desert landscape). I stopped and said "look, that looks like a deer". My dad said "no, I don't see anything". This went on a couple of times. Finally, the mature buck decided that he had been discovered, and broke and attempted to bounce away to safety. That's when he met my .30-30 bullet fired from the fastest draw in the west (at age 11) at less than 50 yards!

The moral of this story is.................mature bucks (even inexperienced ones!!!) will hold tight and let you walk right by them.

Can you even imagine the number of big ol bucks that I have hiked right past in my 29 years of pursuing them? Can you imagine the bucks that I have seen because I was prepared for this behavior at an early age?

Chris Darnell

Edited by CHD