Sign in to follow this  
dchamsr06

Coues Hunting

Last year for the first time I actually grunted 2 young bucks within bow range. Does anyone know if you can rattle in Coues bucks? Also do they respond to Doe attractant.

Guest robert

I have hunted coues for 10 years and it can work, and sometimes it doesnt. 2 years ago I was in Galiuro wilderness and got a buck to run full blast to about 80 yards from me by rattling, he stopped for a second, then I made a loud grunt, and it seemed to startle him, he jumped and turned around, then I grunted at the YB setting on my mule deer grunt tube. he the wheeled around and trotted to about 40 yards from me. Then I heard a grunt from above me. So did the buck and his attention was there, so I pulled me bow. About that time I heard what sounded like a goat, then another, the buck was interested in this and walked out of sight. Then I heard a grunt so I did It back. Then I heard noises in the brush in front of me, it was three does, and the buck, but they never stopped for a shot. So I turn around slowly and there was a 3x3 buck at 5 yards away, staring at me. I was a little startled and jumped and so did he, but he just kept running. I know it was the rattling and grunting that brought them close to me, but I think the goat noises the does made was what got him close, till he realised I wasnt part of the brush.

Also in the same place the next year, around the same day, I tried the same thing and got a different response, all I heard was hooves on rocks in all directions away from me. I know they were in rut, because I saw a buck chasing does earlier. So what happened? I dont know, but it is one of those things. So it can work but not always.

A recomendation to you is to find a doe bleat and try to sound as much like one of those pigmy goats as possible, because both of those bucks were after the does. Also when you grunt make it higher pithed than for mulies, and softer like the yearling buck setting on grunt calls.

One other thing I have found out is whitetails grunt and bleat softly all year, and they make another sound almost like a dove when they are feeding or moving to water. I use this in aug. hunt to locate deer in morning mid day and afternoon.

hope this helps you, and good luck