Sign in to follow this  
gonhntn

NM Bowhunters beware

Fellow Sportsman, Youth and Sportswomen,

This Saturday the Game Commission will meet in Albuquerque at the Albuquerque Marriot. The address is 2101 Louisiana Blvd N.E. from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. to discuss the Antelope Management proposals. This has been a very enlightening , yet contentious, process. Landowners will be fighting to keep the current system as is, which annually results in about 75% of all antelope permits being given to them to do with as they please, while the NM public hunter gets around 20% of the scraps that are left over. The current system is a travesty and needs to be GONE!! Remember that of 6107 antelope tags in our state, 4,343 went to Land Owners to transfer as they see fit. 212 went to Outfitters (12% mandate), 176 went to to NR (10% NR mandate.) That leaves the rest of us NM residents to draw for a mere 1375 tags. Keep in mind that this is 4 year trend data provided by the NMDGF. Checkout the attatchment. Sportsmen, especially BOWHUNTERS need to have a strong showing of support for change at the meeting. The NMDGF came out with a proposal today that is preferred by them hmmmm, that will lessen bowhunter opportunity. Anybody that can make it to Albuquerque Saturday should plan on doing so. We would like to thank all of you who supported our efforts and want to reassure you that we will continue fighting this inequity draw system our state currently is under. See you there and please pass it on to other intrested parties. Thank you, Gonhntn 575-494-5507

Fellow Sportsman, Youth and Sportswomen,

This Saturday the Game Commission will meet in Albuquerque at the Albuquerque Marriot. The address is 2101 Louisiana Blvd N.E. from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. to discuss the Antelope Management proposals. This has been a very enlightening , yet contentious, process. Landowners will be fighting to keep the current system as is, which annually results in about 75% of all antelope permits being given to them to do with as they please, while the NM public hunter gets around 20% of the scraps that are left over. The current system is a travesty and needs to be GONE!! Remember that of 6107 antelope tags in our state, 4,343 went to Land Owners to transfer as they see fit. 212 went to Outfitters (12% mandate), 176 went to to NR (10% NR mandate.) That leaves the rest of us NM residents to draw for a mere 1375 tags. Keep in mind that this is 4 year trend data provided by the NMDGF. Checkout the attatchment. Sportsmen, especially BOWHUNTERS need to have a strong showing of support for change at the meeting. The NMDGF came out with a proposal today that is preferred by them hmmmm, that will lessen bowhunter opportunity. Anybody that can make it to Albuquerque Saturday should plan on doing so. We would like to thank all of you who supported our efforts and want to reassure you that we will continue fighting this inequity draw system our state currently is under. See you there and please pass it on to other intrested parties. Thank you, Gonhntn 575-494-5507

Gonhntn,

I see you are in NM and know the prefix for your phone, I am not far from you. Our entire application system needs to be gone thru. Thanks for the update. I am new to the site and have not been keeping up with the politics. Thanks

You boys and girls in NM are clearly getting the shaft. Very sad indeed, good luck to you all. Landowner tags....75%? What a joke!

Hate to say it, but NM appears to be in reaction mode. Only allowing 2% of tags to non-guided non-residents...Seems to be all about land owners and outfitters. Best of luck to you guys. I'll get to hunt antelope and coues deer this year in NM, but 2011 will probably be the last time I'll ever get to hunt the state I was born in.

You boys and girls in NM are clearly getting the shaft. Very sad indeed, good luck to you all. Landowner tags....75%? What a joke!

Hate to say it, but NM appears to be in reaction mode. Only allowing 2% of tags to non-guided non-residents...Seems to be all about land owners and outfitters. Best of luck to you guys. I'll get to hunt antelope and coues deer this year in NM, but 2011 will probably be the last time I'll ever get to hunt the state I was born in.

We are definitely getting the shaft. It is all about the landowners... the 75% needs to come down a ways. I hear ya coach, put in and see what happens but it is not like residents get much higher chances.