Sign in to follow this  
firemangolfer

6A Are they rutting yet

I have a brother that has a muzzle loader tag at the end of sept. We have not been up in a few day and dont want to mes up the archery hunters. Just wondering if they elk are into the rut very hard in the unit. We are heading up this weekend to set up camp. If anybody has any information I would appreaciate it.

Judging from the dates of calving, the peak of estrus is about Oct 1. I would think that your brother will have more rut activity than the archers. Sept 10 seems awfully early for the start of archery elk with regards to rut behavior.

I was just up there this past weekend supporting my dad's cow elk tag and helping others find the bulls.

Yes I saw some bulls chasing cows, I didn't see any cows interested. But the bigger bulls are still not there. It's just starting to get cold, the morning thermometer read between 33 and 38 daily for 3 mornings.

There were five bugling on opening morning, and it faded to a lower volume over the next two days as hunters invaded their territory. We found one group that was a herd of about 15, the 6x6 herd bull was actively chasing the cows, but he wasn't muddy, and there were some smaller 5x's and 4x's and everything in between. I saw the herd two consecutive days and the herd bull was bugling. By mid morning, smaller bulls were herding with cows when the herd bull left them.

On another occassion, I saw a 5x5 that was chasing four cows mid morning and he was a little muddy. The cows were not interest, and the cow calls just made them run, lol.

Some pics I snapped below with a pocket camera, some in the 10x42 binos. The herd bull 6x6, big body but average antlers and the muddy 5x. Many other 5x and 4x's too. I hope my buddy takes one of these bulls this week. :)

Good luck everyone.

post-1212-1284433517_thumb.jpg

post-1212-1284433633_thumb.jpg

post-1212-1284433682_thumb.jpg

post-1212-1284433995_thumb.jpg

post-1212-1284434018_thumb.jpg

I was just up there this past weekend supporting my dad's cow elk tag and helping others find the bulls.

Yes I saw some bulls chasing cows, I didn't see any cows interested. But the bigger bulls are still not there. It's just starting to get cold, the morning thermometer read between 33 and 38 daily for 3 mornings.

There were five bugling on opening morning, and it faded to a lower volume over the next two days as hunters invaded their territory. We found one group that was a herd of about 15, the 6x6 herd bull was actively chasing the cows, but he wasn't muddy, and there were some smaller 5x's and 4x's and everything in between. I saw the herd two consecutive days and the herd bull was bugling. By mid morning, smaller bulls were herding with cows when the herd bull left them.

On another occassion, I saw a 5x5 that was chasing four cows mid morning and he was a little muddy. The cows were not interest, and the cow calls just made them run, lol.

Some pics I snapped below with a pocket camera, some in the 10x42 binos. The herd bull 6x6, big body but average antlers and the muddy 5x. Many other 5x and 4x's too. I hope my buddy takes one of these bulls this week. :)

Good luck everyone.

yea, i agree, i was up all weekend as well. I think the muzzle loader hunt will be good.. I have some spots for you if you pm me.. I had the archery bull tag in 6an last year, no rut at allllll, so this year they are lucky, i had one shot the whole time and winded up over judging and shot over the back of a nice big 6x6, prob only 330 bull, but got it all on film..