Sign in to follow this  
azryan

3rd day Coues

I was expecting big things for this hunt. I was planning on spending a lot of time scouting for that one special buck. I did spend a ton of time in the woods but looking for elk and not focusing on this hunt. It came quickly and I felt a little unprepared. I know the area very well, sometimes that hurts me because there are so many spots that I want to be in, but cant be in them all at once. I only had 3 days too hunt so I was going back and forth on which spots I wanted to be in. The 1st two days I hunted an area where I have seem some very good bucks. I could not find any of the bucks I had seen just a week prior. So I went to my backup area for my last day where I have been seeing a good amount of bucks. Glassed up some bucks first thing and watched them bed in a cut. There was 3 bucks and one I would consider a shooter. My brother and dad were with me just too tag along and I thought I would get them into the hunt. So I had my dad stay up top watching the cut and my brother came with me on the stalk too get some video.

Here is the glassing point

102_9993.jpg

Two of the bucks, the bigger buck bedded down in a mesquite

102_9984.jpg

I now made my move with my brother along side. I was more excited for him getting to be there if I shot one of these bucks. I crept up to the top of the ridge above from the cut, and started picking apart the cut looking for there exact bedding location. I spooked the small buck who had worked his way to the other side of the cut at the top the ridge. At that point I thought the other bucks were gonna run, but the small buck was far enough away from the other 2 bucks. So I got back too glassing the cut. I looked at it through the 15's for half an hour. Then a buck got up and started feeding 300 yards from me, it was not the bigger buck. I decided I was going to try and take the feeding buck. I gave my brother who was 10 yards behind me the signal that I was going to be shooting. I took the 15's off the tripod and setup the rifle and got comfortable. Once I was calm enough I let it fly. I was not sure if I had hit him since I lost sight of him from a tree blocking my view. I quickly moved too the side and got setup again. Just as I pulled the trigger again he fell too the ground. The 2nd shot was unnecessary I hit him in the back legs after he was down :unsure: .

102_9996.jpg

102_9999.jpg

Not the kind of buck I was hoping too kill, but Im very happy with him. It was awesome too have my brother and dad with me, they both do not hunt so it was a good experience for them too see all the hard work that goes into a hunt. We had plenty of laughs and had a good time.

Here they are hard at work looking for deer on the 2nd day

102_9976.jpg

I forgot too add after I was done gutting the deer and getting it ready to be packed out the bigger buck jumped out 50 yards below me. He held tight during that time. I just laugh at it. I cant get enough of coues hunting.

IMG00147-20101024-1511.jpg

103_0006.jpg