Sign in to follow this  
savagman

Squirrel Recipes

Had a nice day in the woods with my buddy Chris and my Beagle, Bailey. Seems to be fewer squirrels this year. Maybe the snow and cold winter? We did fairly well once we figured out how to get em treed. Anyone willing to share their squirrel recipes?

I definitely think the deep snows this winter caused a die-off in the squirrels. I did some squirrel hunting earlier and found very few in a spot where they used to be a lot.

as far as recipes.....last year I put a bunch of squirrels in the crockpot with chicken broth and cooked them for over a day. Then stripped the meat off and put in ziplocks and froze them to have handy for whatever I wanted to make. The most interesting thing I made was curried squirrel. I used a bottled curry simmer sauce from trader joes and cooked up some onions and peppers and put that all over some bashmati rice that already had some curry in it. It was simple and very tastey!

Other options are squirrel stroganoff. Simple version is to add the pre-cooked squirrel meat to a can or two of cream of mushroom soup. Add lots more mushrooms and onions and some sour cream. have over noodles. YUM!