slopoke36

Bolt/ammo issue?

I got a buddy that has a (.300 win mag/ Rem 700 SPS) that has an issue ejecting an expended round. It will not grip the casing and leaves the shell in the gun. I would say this happens 1 out of every 6 shots. Any ideas on what is causing this to happen? We tap the shell out using a cleaning rod it comes right out with little force if any at all! So, I don't think it is a pressure issue. Also, we are using store bought Federal ammo 180gr NP.

Remington extractors have a tendency to take off little chips of case rim which can interfere with proper operation.

Before you start replacing parts, go ahead and give the bolt face/extractor area a good scrubbing with solvent and a toothbrush. If you have access to an air compressor blow it dry, even better.

Good luck,

Mike

Just a good idea some gunsmiths will take your bolt and machine it to use a sako or a popular ar-15 extractor that works great and they usualy lap in the bolt to make sure there is a min of 80% contact on the lugs. but like they said give it a good cleaning and have a go at it (cause if its not broke dont fix it)

And jeffro i think they are having a problem with the extractor not the ejector because it is leaving the case in the chamber not on the bolt face.