Sign in to follow this  
talltines

"coues" urine scents

Is there coues deer urine scents or do we just use North American whitetail urine scents? I just moved from Mn, so I'm a rookie at the "coues". Do you think my MAD buck grunt and growl tube is too much for the smaller mountain "coues"? Sorry for the odd questions, but it's the only way I'm going to improvew my odds. At this point I will be hunting the archery season and I'm told this is the PRIME of the rut in AZ. I intend on doing some grunt calling and doe-in-heat calling but not sure what kind of scent I can use. I don't want to spook the deer.

i use scent cover from primos guys. smells like wet dirt.

i haven't tried the can.

i did happen to buy a buck grunt tube with the growl and used while mule deer hunting in jan. 2010. i didn't drawn any deer up to me, but thought i would sound like a deer that was close making all the racket coming down the finger. and it actually worked surprisingly (didn't know they would be bedded in the bottom)as i got above a buck and 4 doe's that didn't know i was there. i was guessing 60 yards maybe lil closer down hill. i didn't shoot cause i was not comfortable shooting outside of 40 since i was only been shooting for 2-3 weeks for a pig hunt.

spot and stalk is your best bet with some sort of cover scent, could be dirt, doe in heat, apple whatever. try to have a buddy with you to guide you in when you can't see the deer or have him sent bust the deer torward you.

good luck. i'm going out for 170"+ desert mulie ;) :D :lol: that i should took last year <_<

200" Mulie, good luck chasing those monster Mulies! Where I intend on hunting is in the Pines and oaks in the higher elevations of the Pinal Mountains. Spot and stalk would be pretty hard, can't really see that far in the tall trees. I think I plan on hunting in a climbing stand and use some calling along with a decoy. There is a lot of deer sign around the oaks (acorns). I will feel pretty accomplished to stick an arrow in a nice 110"-120" coues.

there are grunts made to imitate coues deer, I had some fun with that stuff calling in several spikes to shooting range, I bought mine from K and H archery shop in Sierra Vista but that store went bankrupt. My call is pretty worn so I can't find the brand name on it, hope someone on here knows the name./

Elkhunter, Again I gotta say thanks. I'll be spending a little time locating one of those calls. If they make em', I'll find em'! I absolutely love calling whitetails in during the rut and pre-rut. Heart pounding action! Lol... OK I'm getting excited a little soon, still got awhile before arrow slinging time...

The Coues Deer Buck Call by Modern Call Products. Put the o-ring between the B & the U on the reed.

Cool!... On it!! :D

there are grunts made to imitate coues deer, I had some fun with that stuff calling in several spikes to shooting range, I bought mine from K and H archery shop in Sierra Vista but that store went bankrupt. My call is pretty worn so I can't find the brand name on it, hope someone on here knows the name./

it's not the same call but i got this buck growl think. MAD from drury outdoors guys.

they tryed it in the field and brings big bucks in (keep in mind that they are hunting in the mid west) they shot the a doe for management and it was in heat. so when a buck wlked by it tried to get her up. But when a another buck showed up he buck growled at the other and chased him off. they took that sound and made a call. You can still make regular grunt and buck growl with same call. it might be the similar to your call that you have bought down in sv

i tried it mule deer hunting making my way down a finger and got right above a nice 3x4 with 4 does and they didn't notice me (60 yards)

it's not the same call but i got this buck growl think. MAD from drury outdoors guys.

they tryed it in the field and brings big bucks in (keep in mind that they are hunting in the mid west) they shot the a doe for management and it was in heat. so when a buck wlked by it tried to get her up. But when a another buck showed up he buck growled at the other and chased him off. they took that sound and made a call. You can still make regular grunt and buck growl with same call. it might be the similar to your call that you have bought down in sv

i tried it mule deer hunting making my way down a finger and got right above a nice 3x4 with 4 does and they didn't notice me (60 yards)

The call you are talking about is the one I've used in Minnesota the past couple seasons. This MAD call works well as a grunt tube as well as the growl, which is more geared at calling a MATURE buck that is out of range. I would never cold call with that aggressive of a call. I tried this particular call (growl) on some "penned" mature bucks, they didn't have any response. Although, they responded to the grunts I made with it. I wouldn't use this particular call hunting Coues, too loud and aggressive...designed for the larger whitetails of the north.

I found a call specific to the Coues whitetail in Mesa at the Sportsman Warehouse. It is made by Modern Call Products. It is much quieter then most of the whitetail calls on the market.