coueshunter

New setup

sounds like a lot of good advice! as far as the scope i would stay away from anything that has yardage on the turrets. those will be set up for certain elevations and atmospheric conditions (barometric pressure, temperature, humidity, etc.) change those conditions and your target will not be hitting in the same spot. get a turret that you can dial MOA and then get a program on either a computer or PDA that you can figure out different MOA for different conditions.

lots and lots and lots to think about when ya get into longrange shooting! have fun and shoot straight

Thanks guys for all the advice. I think i am going to use my .280 and buy a scope. Ballistically I dont see a problem with this caliber (unless someone can tell me different) I will get turrets for 2 different altitudes. 1 for Kaibab and one lower.......Thanks.........

heck depending on where you have to shoot in kaibab could be a 1500 ft of elevation change i would trust proven data in a scope that just has your mrad or MOA and the ballistic data for your specific load for the .280

look at knights armament at their ballistic program Bullet Flight i use it and you can change your rifle barrel length and rate of twist, get real time barometric pressure data and Relative humidity, angle of your rifle, elevation and your muzzle velocity it has every available ballistic coefficient for all bullets, and it will tell you how many clicks you need to put into your scope for wind range in 5yrd increments if you want. it even can calculate the bc that your getting based on real world bullet drop

if you have an iPod or an iPhone its worth the $30 to get on target quick

the preset turrets could have horrible results if you change your muzzle velocity by 100 fps going from one ammo to another or if there is a high pressure system or high Relative humidity could all affect what happens to your bullet path. if you need to take a 300yd shot at a trophy animal and need to hit a 6 inch vital area i personally wouldn't trust data on a turret that was set up with (probably generic ammo) that doesn't match your specific BC or your specific muzzle velocity

and nothing beats getting real world data for your rifle.. how much are you wanting to spend on glass?