Sign in to follow this  
oz31p

muzzy tips

I drew a ham hunt for javelina this spring. I will have bow in hand but my dad is not a bowhunter and is most likely worst with a hand gun so I have borrowed a knight inline muzzle loader. I just picked up some 250g power belts a box of triple 7 50/50 some 209s and tc foaming cleaner.

Ill need to teach my self then teach my dad. Any pointers or tip as far as loading/reloadiing. Mantnaince and shooting would be helpful

I suggest Blackhorn 209 powder. I have burned others and nothing is as clean as this powder. I have weighed grain to volume equivalent information if you need it. I use either Federal 250 or Remington 250 primers for ignition of this powder. Also I use the excellent Havester Bullets and their exceptional sabots. Their 300 Grain Scorpion on top of a 150 grain equivalent load of BH 209 is a 250 yard sledge hammer with accuracy capabilities that are greater than mine as the shooter. I killed a 180 lb. (field dressed) muledeer at 103 yards that had an exit hole in his chest that measured 3 3/4 inches and the heart and lungs were not identifiable.

Google Blackhorn 209 to read about the powder. I won't use anything else. I swab occasionally with Hoppes or Shooters Choice and your bore shines!

Another benefit... it is exceptioally consistent over the chronograph when shot out of my T/C Triumph Bonecollector. Send me a PM if you want to benefit my all of my stubbed toes learning to use this weapon.

CHEERS!!!

Id say your the 5th person to recomend bh209. The rifles owner did not mention it but he did tell me that he been using triple 7 50/50 with good results. I alread got the 50/50 but I think I shot that and if its not to my liking you'll be gettin a pm.

I did have to boil the breach plug 3 times to clear the flash hole. Just lookin at the bulets and the speen they are movin id imagin it shot knock the snot out of a javelina.

Contact me anytime.

I am happy to help if I can. I made a lot (actually a whole bunch) of mistakes getting started and don't mind sharing them.

Cabela's has a good sale on the B209. It is marked down $10.00 at the moment. this seems to be the best price advertised now. You also might check Sportsman's Warehouse if you live close to one. They have had the best day to day price which is identical to Cabela's sales price.

You won't belive how clean B209 burns I clean my breach plug every 20 shots or when I head home from the range whichever, comes first. Same with the barrel although I can't tell much difference in the clean barrel shots and the fouled barrel shots. Your foam cleaner will work with both.

CHEERS!!!