Sign in to follow this  
buglethemin

2 bulls n 2 days (4a & 22n)

Everyone knows how tough it can be hunting elk alone without any help. So with that being said I had two friends hunting alone in two different units at the same time. One in 4a and one in 22N. My friend in 4a was going to have help on Sunday afternoon, but my buddie in 22N was solo the entire time. I went with my friend in 4a first and arrived in his camp opening morning and it was cold! 4 degrees so my truck indicated. This was the first time in 4a hunting rifle, most of my experience in there has been during the archery season. The spot I took him to was a war zone, road hunter after road hunter driving all the two tracks and shots going off everwhere. My friend told me he was looking for a nice 5x5 or better. As it started getting lighter I glassed a nice 5x out in the flats about a mile out. We decided to get closer for a better look, and as we approached closer some road hunters jumped the entire herd and spooked the bull out. That bull was shot by a young boy and it was his first. It was a nice 5x and good for him. That evening we went to a different spot to get away from some of the road hunting. We spotted a herd of 20 and another 5x was with the herd. My buddie told me he wanted to go for him. As light was fading we got within 460 yards, he took another look and decided to take him. His shot was true with his 308 and he got his bull. After we packed out the bull, which was easy due to the location, I headed off to 22N to help my other friend.

I arrived in camp that evening and asked if he has seen anything. He told me no not even a cow. I asked what type of bull he was looking for and he told me anything better than a spike. He was wanting that tasty elk meat. I am use to glassing and the only spot I was familiar with in 22n was the control road. I know how crowded that road is with hunters, but I thought if I could glass one up we would be in business. That following morning after I arrived in his camp we started to glass the control road area and I spotted a 4x5 with some cows 3/4 the way up the ridge. I asked my friend if he wanted to try for him and I explained to him how difficult the pack out will be if he got it. He told me he was game. We stalked to withing 200 yards and his shot was true. This pack out was tough. He shot him at 1030 and we were finished with the entire elk and back at the truck at 8pm. Not the biggest bulls but it was great time hunting, except the cold. Enjoy.

post-2764-1291580598_thumb.jpg

post-2764-1291580627.jpg

post-2764-1291580648_thumb.jpg

post-2764-1291580667_thumb.jpg