Sign in to follow this  
headhunter

Still looking!

My hunt started Christmas day... I've been out in the field a lot lately and have been seeing anywhere between 5-10 does a day. But only a few small bucks....i've glassed and glassed and glassed.. Walked an average of 7 miles a day.. Seen many fresh rubs. Lets hope that all this snow has them moving around. And that the RUT has picked up.. Every doe i glassed up was alone or in groups.... WITH NO BUCKS!!!!

A couple good bucks have been taken this year here on the white mtn rez.. a 120 during the general(november) hunt and a 130 couple days ago.. during this trophy hunt(the rut).

Good luck and keep us posted. :)

TJ

How much longer do you have man? Sounds like you been gettin it!!Some weather up here in the WM huh, I dunno try roadhunting catch umm crossing, glass country from roads, track umm down in the snow like a lion (Snow shoes-follow buck tracks) just some IDE'ERS..but like you said hopefully this storm will bring good hunting for you, if your out there in this weather.

Sorry I couldn't help u scout, maybe next time, after i get married :lol: getting my small game liscense for the year though so you can take me hikin after the big game hunts are over

I dont know what type of terrain you are hunting but ...if you are walking an average of 7 miles a day....you are walking to much in my opinion...time that you should be glassing. But like I said dont know exactly what type of terrain you are hunting.

It looks to me is just a matter of time, be patient...good luck and keep us posted.

Ernesto C

thanks guys.. Some weather indeed! gonna be hunting in at least a foot of snow.. oh man gotta set up camp. thinking of building an igloo!! haha :P... All em does are there just gotta wait for the big guy to show up! i was glassing a couple days for hours but little movement. So i decided to drop into some canyons and glass glass glass.. I'm hunting right by the border of San Carlos rez and The white mtn rez.. black river. many canyons that drop into the river. a couple huge mtns.. Remote area so that led me to walking to the tops and bottoms.

Smoked ONE!!! 350 yard shot dropped him in his tracks.. not a biggie i was hoping for.. he'll go about 80 icnhes. my brother got one too his buck should hit the 100 inch barrier.. HARDEST HUNT TO DATE!!!!!! 2 ft of snow below zero temps in a tent.. hiking in 4 miles and 4 miles out each day. drove the truck as far as we could til it bogged into the snow set up camp. came back into town threw on the tire chains and pushed our way thru.. LONG Story short.. wednesday the 5th my brother killed his at 4 pm. thursday i smoked mine at 425 pm. got back to camp truck died out. camped another night. my dad shows up the next day we try to get the truck started but dies out slowly.. so put 4 tire chains on the jeep. pushes the f250 quite a ways til the mud gets tooo deep.. so the truck is still out in the mtns.. gonna get it monday morning. i have to work all weekend.. WILL POST PICS of the baby buck i shot.. and my brothers massive coues...

Congratulations to you and your brother. Can't wait to see the pictures, Sounded cold! :)

TJ