... was taken away. I hunted my but off for 2 days and woke up sick this morning. I started the hunt off bu getting to my perch overlooking a series of canyons and a mountainside about 30 minutes before dark. As I was waiting for the sun to come up I realized that all my stuff was soaked and then realized my binosular lenses had a layer of water/dew on them. At this point I realized that I had forgotten my lens clothes in the truck so it was a 30 minute jog down the hill to the truck and then a 45 minute jog back up. So I am now about 45 late for glassing. I get back to my perch and sit there for about 30 minutes before I find anything and it is a herd of 8 javelina always fun to find but I am looking for a buck right now. So I continue glassing and find about 7 does and fawns in the next 45 to 60 minutes. Then I take a break and just look at a little wash about 150 yards from me and there he is. It is a solid 3x3 with a massive eyeguard on its left antler that is bent and disformed and has about a 3 inch kicker off of its right G2. I get setup as quietly as possible and wait for him to step out from behind this bush. He does but I rushed the shot and shot under him. He ran 20 yards up the hill and stops I shoot again and missed again. Now I am thinking oh great my rifle is off. I have one more chance and shoot I see the buck arch its back and take off over the ridge. I know the last shot hit him good and get my stuff packed mark where I was sitting and where I believe the deer was hit. When I get over there I find no fur and no blood. Oh great a gut shot just what I need. I follow the blood for about 50 yards then there is no more the tracks go on clean. I keep following the tracks and then I see him go over the ridge about 300 yards away at a full sprint. I searched for 6 hours but could never find him. I know that he is alright because I saw him Saturday feeding with a forky but could not get within range. All day Saturday I saw 4 does and the 2 bucks and 12 more javelina. I am going to go back and try for this guy next weekend. Will post pics of some does and other stuff later.

Young Hunter, that is too Darn bad that it didnt work out like it SHOULD HAVE! Just stick with it Bud and u will be FINE! I wish the ABSOLUTE best of luck to you!

I will be going down for the second weekend and if anybody would like to come and try to help I will gladly give them a couple venison steaks if successful :) :angry: :)

Younghunter,

Wounding an animal that cannot be recovered is something I do not hope to do. If he is still up and moving, and you have seen him since, I believe it is your duty as an ethical hunter to try and take him. (not to mention since he is a nice buck) :angry:

I definetly wish you Good Luck in your quest! Take your time and don't let the buck fever take over!

Don't give up on that buck! Try and glass him up again and throw down a stock. If you don;t find him, you might jsut find another good buck. Remember, when they're wounded they will hold VERY tight. You dang near have to poke them out of their beds. I had this exact thing happen to me and I was able to recover the deer. Watched him bed and stocked to within 5 yards of the dang thing before he busted out of the oak brush :lol: . Scared me half to death. They can hide like no other when they are wounded.