Sign in to follow this  
king4wd

Savage Model 93 .17 HMR feeding issue

I have a .17 HMR that I absolutely LOVE! It's my go to rifle for smaller varmints and small game. It is a real tack driver, under 150 yards that is(that's for you Casey :D ). It's developed a bit of a feeding issue and I think it's the mag but I'm not positive. Roughly 90% of the time with the first cartridge out of the magazine, the tip of the bullet jams right into the breech face of the barrel. Sometimes the 2nd and 3rd cartridge do it too. Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

IMG_0045.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0046.jpg

IMG_0050.jpg

The deformed tip has got to effect accuracy right? I figure that much deformation on a 17 grain bullet has got to mess with the ballistics pretty bad.

IMG_0054.jpg

I had the same thing happen to my old one. Caused me to miss too many animals and ended up giving it away because I was so frustrated with it.

I actually just figured it out. The mag lips were grabbing the case too far forward and keeping the tip from popping up all the way. I just bent the sheet metal a little and made it so that it grabs the case right at the base and it works like a champ now! Easier fix than what I was thinking I would have to do.

Here's pretty much how I fixed it. It took a lot of back and forth work, but I finally got it. Just make sure the back end is holding more of the case than the front of the lips.

IMG_0074.jpg