Sign in to follow this  
db cooper

Need someone who speaks coyote

I took a few hours off work yesterday evening to do some varmint calling. I'm a novice caller, so I still have a lot to learn. Anyways, I had a dying jackrabbit call going and a couple of coyotes opened up with howls. After a few minutes, the howls turned to a howl ending in a whimper/whine. The dogs wouldn't come any closer after that. I suspect I was spotted. Any ideas? How would you proceed at that point? Thanks in advance.

Not sure what happened. But one thing I have learned and I sure you already know this but always stay down wind of them. They have a great sense of smell. Try to be in a shaded spot and have something to break up your outline, like a small tree or large brush. When walking to a stand make sure your not skyling your self to where they can see you. For coyotes I try to get in a elevated spot so I can see them coming in. The old coyotes will try to circle you trying to catch a sent.

I had some similar thing happen to me, they would hang up and whimper a little after a bit. I've done alot better just doing the little simple things like I mentioned above.

If they won't come in still I use the Ki Yi sound, takes a few mins but they eventually show themselves in a shooting distance.

And one more thing, no slamming doors and talking loud when you get out of your vehicle!!!! Thats a peppeve for me ;)

Just my 2 cents

DB,

I'm no expert, but could be anything - an option could be that the educated older yotes are nipping at the younger yotes that are responding to prevent then from approaching and getting shot. The older ones will divert and nip at the younger ones if they're overzealous and approaching carelessly to a call (not upwind, or cautiously). Or, they could be calling out to check for a familiar reponse back from the dinner bell, or could be territorial. Good news is something's there.

At the end of stands after a distress call, some folks I've seen on video and read about (never worked for me though) will play some young hurt pups as if they're being nipped by older yotes at the kill site. The goal is to create an environment of sounds saying, 'there's a kill party, we're all eating, you're missing out and better get over here'. Yote sounds may divert foxes and cats though.

Good luck.

Not sure what happened. But one thing I have learned and I sure you already know this but always stay down wind of them. They have a great sense of smell. Try to be in a shaded spot and have something to break up your outline, like a small tree or large brush. When walking to a stand make sure your not skyling your self to where they can see you. For coyotes I try to get in a elevated spot so I can see them coming in. The old coyotes will try to circle you trying to catch a sent.

I had some similar thing happen to me, they would hang up and whimper a little after a bit. I've done alot better just doing the little simple things like I mentioned above.

If they won't come in still I use the Ki Yi sound, takes a few mins but they eventually show themselves in a shooting distance.

And one more thing, no slamming doors and talking loud when you get out of your vehicle!!!! Thats a peppeve for me ;)

Just my 2 cents

Okay yes you are right in most cases. But see the coyotes will always circle down wind so I make it a point to call down wind. Since I have done this I kill a coyote almost everytime (when I dont miss LOL). I make sure I do everything in my power to be scent free from washing my clothes in scent free, bagging them, showering in scent free JUST BEFORE you go out, spraying down at EACH stand and wearing scent wafers. Let me tell you getthe wind at your back and start calling YOU WILL SEE A difference in the stands that may have not brought anything. Well you think they didn't but half the time they are behind you and you have never seen them.

To your case I would have also done the same thing they were doing. Switch to an aggresive call and then follow it up with a yipe (coyote distress). Then that away since what seems like you are telling us they were coming in and got into it before they made it there. If you would have done the agg and yipe them they would have thought (coyotes can't think lol) "holy crap the others got there first" or " hey they are in our territory lets get em.

The other day I set up with the wind on my back and in 5 minutes had one come in and YEP i missed I never stop calling just because I shot and here is why. I kept calling and 5 minutes later another shows up so here we go I am going to redeam myself right? nope freakin missed again. Check the gun, gun was on but hey I get more excited over the coyotes than the deer or elk. Try it out you will be surprised what happens. I never just stick with a rabbit call I mix it up BIG TIME. It works too. Heck I have even played a tune on my calls me and my buddies have because we were not calling anything in to our surprise a coyote got mad at us and was ready to fight. You should have seen it all this was the funniest thing I have ever seen.

Good luck you guys and get as many as you can.

Just my 2 cents

Okay yes you are right in most cases. But see the coyotes will always circle down wind so I make it a point to call down wind. Since I have done this I kill a coyote almost everytime (when I dont miss LOL). I make sure I do everything in my power to be scent free from washing my clothes in scent free, bagging them, showering in scent free JUST BEFORE you go out, spraying down at EACH stand and wearing scent wafers. Let me tell you getthe wind at your back and start calling YOU WILL SEE A difference in the stands that may have not brought anything. Well you think they didn't but half the time they are behind you and you have never seen them.

To your case I would have also done the same thing they were doing. Switch to an aggresive call and then follow it up with a yipe (coyote distress). Then that away since what seems like you are telling us they were coming in and got into it before they made it there. If you would have done the agg and yipe them they would have thought (coyotes can't think lol) "holy crap the others got there first" or " hey they are in our territory lets get em.

The other day I set up with the wind on my back and in 5 minutes had one come in and YEP i missed I never stop calling just because I shot and here is why. I kept calling and 5 minutes later another shows up so here we go I am going to redeam myself right? nope freakin missed again. Check the gun, gun was on but hey I get more excited over the coyotes than the deer or elk. Try it out you will be surprised what happens. I never just stick with a rabbit call I mix it up BIG TIME. It works too. Heck I have even played a tune on my calls me and my buddies have because we were not calling anything in to our surprise a coyote got mad at us and was ready to fight. You should have seen it all this was the funniest thing I have ever seen.

Good luck you guys and get as many as you can.

Yeah that is all good info!

The scent stuff does work. Believe in it because I do I know for a fact it works. I have had coyotes and foxs almost jump in my lap thats how I believe in it. Try it out you will be surprised at what happens. Good luck and PM me and let me know how it goes.