Sign in to follow this  
Sir Buckwheat

Not what I was after, but he'll do...

My plan to hunt the Bookcliffs Saturday fell thru due to family commitment, but I did get a chance to get out for an hour or so close to the house. I've been wanting to get a coyote hide or two to work my BMC pup with. I bought a new FoxPro mouth call and I have to say I'm impressed. I made 3 stands, the first one I had a coyote coming in almost immediately, unforturnately the fog rolled in and I couldn't see 20 feet in front of me. I had to track myself back to the truck! So I relocated to a spot a little higher that was up out of the fog.

No sooner did sound leave my call than a fox jumped up 500 yards out and came in on a dead run. He got 100 yards out when I noticed his girlfriend coming in 200 yards behind him. The first fox stopped about 50 yards out and had me nailed, so I settled in on the headshot I had at the farthest one out....and missed! I hurried and switched to the closer one and got him at about 100 yards on the run.

th_IMG_2753.jpg

th_IMG_2754.jpg

He had the nicest pelt I've seen on one in a while. Guess the -30 degree weather we've been having has helped! Wish I could have got some pics of him running into the call.

My last stand was unproductive other than this little guy that was curious about what was making all the racket.

th_IMG_2684.jpg

Nice job! I'll trade you gray fox hunt for a red fox hunt.... Those things are beautiful!

Come up anytime. They're lousy up here. We can send you home with as many as you want.

Better hurry before it starts to warm up too much or else their hides won't be worth the trip. The thickest coats are during sub-zero stretch we get each year. PM if you're serious about it...