Sign in to follow this  
AzHunt

Ballistic Turrets

I am considering purchasing a Swarovski scope from The Outdoorsman and the ballistic turrets they offer for the Swarovski scopes. Just interested if anybody has used them and what where your results?

Thanks!

I have a Swarovski AV 4-12x50 with ballistic turrets on my .300 WSM. The turret is the factory one, which uses color coded dots in place of the actual yardages on the Outdoorsmans turret. I love the scope. It has bright, clear optics and a nice defined duplex reticle. My rifle is zeroed at 200 and I used the Swaro website to enter my load data and get the zero for 300, 400 and 500 yards. Their data was close, but not exact when I went to the range to test it. After field adjustments I have the scope dialed in and feel confident out to about 550 yards. I also practiced at 250, 350, and 450 (which I basically just guessed at by moving halfway between the color coded zeros for 300, 400 and 500) and was pleased with the results. I have holdover (ballistic plex, BDC, etc) reticles on a few other rifles and believe the turret system is superior for accuracy at long range. I'm sure the Outdoorsmans reticle is excellent as well, and probably more precise than the "halfway" system I used at the range for those 250, 35, etc. shots...the only limitation that I see with their turret is that my understanding is that it is set-up for only one load...so just make sure you have found the bullet that shoots in your gun before you get the turret set up.

I have a leupold mk4 lrt with target turets. I love it. Its setto moa. I sighted it in at 0moa at 100. And worked my way to 800 and the adjustments in moa in 50y increments wrote it on a piece of paper and taped it to the stock.

I have seen on some setups where you can only use the turrets with the scope @ max magnification. Is this the case in either of your guy's setups?

I think that has to do with whether or not your reticle is in the first or second focal plane...if I am shooting past 200 yards my scope is always maxed at 12x so it isn't an issue for me.