Sign in to follow this  
young-coueshunter

New rifel

Here's a good primer on the 260. The 6.5-284 and 264WM are both just more of a good thing... I'd never build a 6.5-284, since the WM trumps it soundly in a long action. Recoil of the 6.5s is nil.

With bullets in the 120-140 grain range, bearing BCs well over .500, the ability to launch them at reasonable velocity, and a case capacity conducive to PRACTICE, the real key to responsible and ethical long range shooting, it makes a lot of sense. The need for uber-high muzzle velocity is gone with a good LRF. A 260 launching the 140 AMAX will reliably and ethically get you to 650, with no problems at all.

The Cse for a 260 Remington

For a guy starting from scratch, the 7mm 162 AMAX warrants the jack needed to build a rifle around... for any real jump in performance, you have to step up to a big 338 case... then you're into a 15lb+ braked beast.

Young, An opinion for all of us, none less right then the next guy. I see you mentioned elk later in the thread, so why not step up to a .338 or .340 WM.

You have an ought six and 7 mm, why get another 30 cal., go big or go home, right?

Then again, if it's gonna be a while before you do go elk hunting (plus your other rifles are great elk slayers) step down to something fun. Maybe an AR or .243 (lots of ammazing ammo choices) or one of my favorites and someone else mentioned, a .257 WM.

Make sure you save enough for good optics, but that is a whole different can of worms!

Bart

Nikon Pro Staff

Whats up guys im thinking of buying a new hunting rifel to use mostly for deer. I am thinking of a 300 ultra mag was wondering if i could get your thoughts on this rifel or any suggestions on any other rifels. Thanks ...

I have both a 257 WBY MAG and 300 WIN MAG and I love both of them. I highly recommend the 300 WM or 300 Ultra whatever you decide in the savage 116fhsak because is comes stock with an accutrigger, nice stock, great action and barrel, and a muzzlebrake for cheap. Mine shoots sub MOA and I didn't even break the barrel in properly. As far as my 257 weatherby mag, I have it in a vanguard and I put a timney trigger on it and it shoots .732 inch groups at 100 yards. Whatever caliber you decide to get is up to you but I think my 300 win mag has enough power for anything and with the muzzlebrake the recoil is not bad. Just make sure you get an accurate platform like a savage or weatherby. My 2 cents.

PS the 257 weatherby mag shoots flatter than anything I have shot for deer and there is no recoil at all really.