Sign in to follow this  
adddict

Last Day/Last Minute AZ Desert Mule Deer

Really cool looking buck. Congrats on your first archery deer also. I just shot my first about a week ago so I know how awesome you are feeling right now and I also know what you mean about chompin at the bit already for 2012.

well his eye don't hurt anymore, congrats on your buck, on-a-stik

Guest Lobo

Nice buck. Glad you didn't push him too much. I pushed a buck too hard once - right into some other hunters. He died right in front of them. And they tagged him! He was a nice one. But you gotta ask yourself, "was that a good shot I took?" I mean the angle/distance. Would it have been better to wait for "the right shot"? It's fairly obvious the arrow didn't make it to his diaphram. You've lost 2 deer. Were they the same or similar circumstances? Losing animals sucks but it happens.

Although I didn't lose him, I shot my first deer many times because I got excited and rushed the shot. He kept running and I kept shooting. I could've just waited a little for "the right shot". The buck I did lose was the same. I rushed it and I hit him too far back. A gut shot buck can go a long way. We eventually lost the blood trail. That hurt. Dad was upset with my taking a risky, and unneccessary shot. And so was I. He was always telling me to slow down. That was a lifetime and many lessons ago.

I'm just saying ...

Great story and a great first buck! Congrats! Also what did AZGFD say about you recovering the day after season... it is a comonly ask question that not many can answer.