Sign in to follow this  
bowsniper

feral pigs

A couple of friends and I would like to pop over NM and try to hunt up some feral pigs. There are a few in AZ, but I'm thinking we'd have a better chance in NM. Does anyone have any general info or know a rancher who might want some some respectful and responsible hunters to clean out a few pigs? We are not into a guided hunt but would be willing part with some $$ for a good location and quick "how to" talk.

Thanks

Mark

There are a few feral pigs down in the bootheel, but not a lot. Unit 34 and 36 have populations of feral pigs, but they can be tough to find because they move around quite a bit and get hunted pretty hard. The NE corner of the state has good populations but these are mainly on private land. Sorry but I do not know any private land holders that are looking for hunters for the feral pigs.

There are a few feral pigs down in the bootheel, but not a lot. Unit 34 and 36 have populations of feral pigs, but they can be tough to find because they move around quite a bit and get hunted pretty hard. The NE corner of the state has good populations but these are mainly on private land. Sorry but I do not know any private land holders that are looking for hunters for the feral pigs.

Mark

Try Nogal and Bonita canyons north of Ruidoso its national forest. The other area is around Pinon NM it also has lots of public ground. 81jons

Not sure if you knew this or not, but just last year APHIS started an intensive "extermination" of feral hogs here in New Mexico. The official report is available from APHIS I believe, which highlights where and how many hogs they killed. They are/were running large numbers of camera traps, baiting, and then killing hog populations full force. That being said, the areas mentioned above were holding hogs until then. The bootheel may still have some, but when I went down there looking for them around the Hatchet mtns I soon found that they probably stick to the irrigated private property in the valley. Near Roswell there are still populations on some of the public areas around the river, but people I've talked to that have hunted them claim that they are very nocturnal and stick to heavy, hard to hunt riverbottom. Best of luck!