tjwking

Rifle Build questions

The only problem is trying to find a reputable gunsmith. I've read reviews on a ton of smiths. but its just like everything else, you can read 10 reviews that are great and then read 10 reviews that say that smith sucks. this rifle build is my first one, and I just want to make sure I'm going to right person.

Here is where I sent mine after a lot of research. He recommended a Brux barrel.

http://www.montourcountyrifles.com/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/7mm-wsm-mcr-62479/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-260-mcr-59628/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f110/sponsor-profile-montour-county-rifles-kevin-j-cram-69249/

Hey guys, I'm wanting to start a rifle build and I have some questions. I know what glass, trigger and stock. My problem is picking a barrel and a local gunsmith. I know I want either a hart, krieger or shilen barrel. but I'm really stuck on what gunsmith to use. I'm wanting to make a rifle my wife and I can use for long range hunting, out to 400-500 yards. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Craig

krieger, kreiger, hart, bartlein, broughton.brux, for rifle barrels. what caliber and action are you going to use??

Hey guys, I'm wanting to start a rifle build and I have some questions. I know what glass, trigger and stock. My problem is picking a barrel and a local gunsmith. I know I want either a hart, krieger or shilen barrel. but I'm really stuck on what gunsmith to use. I'm wanting to make a rifle my wife and I can use for long range hunting, out to 400-500 yards. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Craig

krieger, kreiger, hart, bartlein, broughton.brux, for rifle barrels. what caliber and action are you going to use??

Remington 700 action in 7mm rem mag

TJ

Theirs a guy named Bob Brackney here in Wickenburg............Hes a bench rest guy and 1 of the best (some say in the world). I met him some years ago through Lester Bruno..... I had a muzzle break I want to put on my daughters rifle and Lester didn't have the interest and sent me to Bob (lucky for me). I did a little research on Bob and found out in the bench rest world he is highly thought of so after the muzzle break I had him customize a dud sendero for me. My dud Sendero (in 300wm)now shoots single holes at 100 and after creating a load for it I have killed white tail out to 900 yards. My girls (12 and 13) have killed deer and elk out to 600 (easily). Everyone who has hunted with us and has watched this rifle preform has ended up going to Bob and having one built (all of them have been shooters). Look him up or pm me and Ill shoot ya his phone number...(don't want to post it here without his permission)

Grumpy

post-2610-0-13937200-1301234497_thumb.jpg

post-2610-0-94230800-1301234675_thumb.jpg

post-2610-0-02825000-1301234796_thumb.jpg

post-2610-0-31547300-1301234918_thumb.jpg

Thanks Craig

Remington 700 action in 7mm rem mag

Bob Brackney IS one of the best in the world. a little ways from scottsdale. not as far as prescott though. my 7mm mag. with a krieger shoots awesome. Tj- i have a 7mm mag reamer.

Danny out of Prescott dose fantastic work...

+10000 on not drinking the shillen punch

but see how a 700 dose with the barrel lapped and a good load before you consider truing and putting on a aftermarket barrel if you can shoot a .4moa center to center with a good load why risk making the rifle less accurate? or spending a lot on a barrel that isn't going to make the rifle any more or less accurate?

Chuck hawks affordable accuracy page is a good example. use a good stock bedded appropriately, good trigger pull, and Lapp the barrel will make the most difference in the way your rifle will perform if you cant get a 700 accurate with those things and a good load check the dope behind the scope

look at my 700 sps aac-sd build thread. buying the gun and all the mods i did were 1200 (i lapped the rings and did all the work myself) but the scope was 500 more than the entire rifle said and done and found a load that shoots .3moa with 168grn bullet

i wanted to do alot of stuff that would have been a waist of time and energy and more so money if i didnt shoot it first

I do not have a lot of expirence yet with barrels. But over the past several years my dad and I have built 5 rifles on Mauser actions. 3 7mm Mausers and 2 30-06. The 7mm Mausers all have Shilen barrels and shoot 3/4 inch groups when I do my part. They were standard blanks that we threaded and chambered. the 2 06's we used Mcgowen barrels. 1 of the 06's shoots about 1/2 inch groups and the other we have not shot yet. The price was better then Shilen and they will contour, short chamber, crown, and thread it to whatever action you have. You can also send your action to them and they will install the barrel.

We were very happy with the service and the fact we got 1/2 inch groups with factory ammo. We used Boyds laminate stocks and bedded and pillared them which helps.

Good luck in your quest. The suggestions you got are all good. If you are on a budget consider the Mcgowens. We are happy with them anyway.

E.R. Shaw is now offering what they call the Mk VII rifle, which is essentially a customized Savage with a Shaw Barrel at a very reasonable price point. I believe they start at the $700 range. They offer just about any caliber imaginable and build the whole gun top to bottom. I have a few rifles wearing Shaw barrels and they shoot beautifully.