Sign in to follow this  
donniedent

Unit 10 Late Bull

Well it finally happened, 10 years without an elk tag and we finally drew.

I was wondering if anybody could fill me in on past expiriences with this hunt. I'd love to see some pics. I know some good areas and I've spent time in there, I just wanted to know what everbody here thought of the hunt. I do know the potential to see big bulls is there but I also know it can be a tough hunt. Any feedback would be much appriciated.

I drew the same tag, never even stepped foot into 10 before. I have been looking at tons of maps, it seems most of the area is checker board private and state trust. Is access pretty good? I need to contact the WM and get his take also. I am excited to learn a new unit. I have heard that this unit has a lot of glassable country, I am use to finding little grey deer at 1000 yards so finding large brown elk should be easy right? LOL

Access is pretty good. There are private areas with no access but there's still a ton of huntable country. I thinks its 51 percent private but its also a huge unit.

Well it finally happened, 10 years without an elk tag and we finally drew.

I was wondering if anybody could fill me in on past expiriences with this hunt. I'd love to see some pics. I know some good areas and I've spent time in there, I just wanted to know what everbody here thought of the hunt. I do know the potential to see big bulls is there but I also know it can be a tough hunt. Any feedback would be much appriciated.

Congrats on the tags! Two of my young nephews have the same tag, it'll be Cody's first big game hunt and Tyler's 2nd late 10 bull tag in a row! Tyler had an incredible hunt last year and shot a great bull for his first. He's holding out for a big one this year and I know he'll get one and can't wait!

That hunt can be very tough and expecially if you are holding out for a big bull that isn't broken! A lot of the bulls will be broken, not sure why exactly but have always figured it's because of the high bull to cow ratio and lots of competition over the cows during the rut.

I would reccomend scouting the ENTIRE unit learning roads and habitat and pay close attention to spots that offer lots of country to glass. If your time is limited, your absolute best time to scout will be the full week prior to the hunt and that's the only time where I would get excited over any particular bull you find. Picking out a bull any earlier than that will most likey cause you heartache, hair-loss and wasted time! There are elk in all 4 corners of the unit, even if there isn't a tree for miles, and there will be elk in all those places during the late hunt. The hard part for folks that are new to this hunt is anticipating where the hunter pressure will be and where that pressure will push the bulls. Knowing where the bulls go after the previous hunts and after the first couple days of the late hunt is the most important thing. For those that don't know these pressure areas, getting on top of the highest point and glassing long distances will be your best bet.

There are "famous" spots throughout the unit. You'll hear different folks tell you the same mountain name or tank names. These spots are most likely great spots but you'll be in foot races with other hunters everyday and that's no fun! The trick is to note these spots as high pressure spots and using a topo figure out where you think those bulls will get pushed to! There may be a canyon nearby, or a ravine that will funnel elk away from the spots, etc.

Another thing to remember, especially in Unit 10, is there usually is more than meets the eye! Just because it looks like antelope country doesn't mean there isn't a 350" bull layin' out there or just because you've been glassing an open ceder hillside doesn't mean there isn't a 350" class bull laying behind a tree! Also, just because there isn't anyone hunting a spot doesn't mean it isn't holding a bachelor herd of big bulls and even if it's a spot right next to a busy road, don't overlook it!

I love that hunt. The glassability and huntability of it is better than any other unit i think. There are great bulls and always the possibility of a giant. I would say to hold out for the biggest bull you saw during the week prior to the season, and I also would say never pass up any intact 330-340" class bull unless you have something bigger tied to a tree! Depending on where you hunt, the first day is typically your best chance to kill a big bull and it goes downhill from there! Also, typically the older bulls won't be around the cows, if you're finding a bunch of cows and are holding out for a biggun, look elsehwere. Best of luck, hope some of this info helps! JIM>

Here's a couple from last couple years on that late hunt.....

MullinsLateSeason09Pat8.jpg

2010LateBulls070.jpg

2010LateBulls006.jpg

MullinsLateSeason09Tom9.jpg

MullinsLateSeason09Packin1.jpg

MullinsLateSeason09Group5-1.jpg

This hunt is becoming more and more difficult, thanks to G&F opportunity. It's getting harder to find as many elk than it was 3-4 years ago. There are at least 4 elk hunts before the late bull hunt, and deer as well.

The elk will probably be scattered throughout the unit. They usually are on the late hunt. The biggest bulls will be in the thickest areas. They can be found, but it will take hard work and luck to do it. Be sure to check the areas in the far north part of the unit. You wont think elk would live in the wide open areas like that, but they do. Some big bulls hang out miles from trees in there.

Wow, thanks for all the great info Jim. Thanks for the pics too. I wanted my fiance to get an idea of what kind of bulls were in there. Get her pumped ya know. Thank you so much bro.