Sign in to follow this  
couesdeerhntr

spring turkey over the counter archery tags late hunt any advice?

Going to be heading to unit 1 for spring archery turkey. The hunt is a late hunt and I have never hunted turkey this late in the year. I usually head to new Mexico for the spring turkey season which usually starts around april tenth and the birds are always fired up already. Seems like it will be late in season for some good calling. And the few times I get drawn in az which I feel the season starts to late in year as well is always a tuff hunt due to it starting in late april and the toms are hened up. Anyways was just wondering if anybody has had good luck this late in the year. Are the birds hened up or are the already serviced and the toms are lonely and out looking for the hens that didn't take? I always felt the earlier the better because the birds havnt heard much callin and haunt been pushed around. Any advice will help. My game plan was to set up a blind on some water and hope for the best got some good spots in unit one so I will prob just sit and call and wait. Thanks guys and gals and good hunting :)

Going to be heading to unit 1 for spring archery turkey. The hunt is a late hunt and I have never hunted turkey this late in the year. I usually head to new Mexico for the spring turkey season which usually starts around april tenth and the birds are always fired up already. Seems like it will be late in season for some good calling. And the few times I get drawn in az which I feel the season starts to late in year as well is always a tuff hunt due to it starting in late april and the toms are hened up. Anyways was just wondering if anybody has had good luck this late in the year. Are the birds hened up or are the already serviced and the toms are lonely and out looking for the hens that didn't take? I always felt the earlier the better because the birds havnt heard much callin and haunt been pushed around. Any advice will help. My game plan was to set up a blind on some water and hope for the best got some good spots in unit one so I will prob just sit and call and wait. Thanks guys and gals and good hunting :)

Fear no turkey in May they will still be gobbling and the hens will be nesting. Have faith!